Yx 150/160 rings issues

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will scott

Reaction score
Hi I am having issues with the piston rings in my 160s, I've had 2 now all of them keep wearing out the oil rings in about 10 to 15hrs of use one of which was a tb head kit with the 60 mm high comp piston. I just bought a cheap yx 150 with low hours and the rings have gone to in 2 rides to. I'm not sure if it's the oil I use as I've rang local shops like dhz and they say what I'm using is fine. I live in Australia as we know it's quite hot so I run 20w50 mineral Penrite MC oil some ppl say u should run 10w40. Is that to thin for my climate? Or is this just the go with these bikes and the China rings don't last. I always clean my airfilers regularly and use Penrite air filter oil, run uni filters, change the oil every 5 hrs... I don't understand why this keeps happening any suggestions? Kinda getting sick of this

Never heard of this issue but about the oil, I think the 20W50 is good in Australia. I used 20W50 in my 125 in Finland where the weather is a lot colder than in Australia and it was fine. In my 125 its had little too much play in the rockers because I adjusted them wrong with 10w40 they knocked but 20w50 fixed the sound. TB is very good quality so its very weird that their rings wear out that fast

Yea it's very weird everybody tells me its unusual for tb and the oil brand is very expensive to its 55$ a bottle witch is alot for 4 litres, I was running just shell mineral 20w50 car oil it my 125 n I got about 130 hrs before it started smoking n that oil was 25$ a bottle so I have no idea. Has anyone else had issues?

Latest posts

Back