yx 160 head on 155z

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LEO DPRO 037

Reaction score
I currently have a 2010 dpro 160 with the 155z engine (oval cam chain cover) and shes getting a bit smokey.
Ive changed the rings with little or no improvement.
Some have suggested valve stem seals which seems too hard for a rookie engine wizz like me so im thinking of buying a yx head (with the more triangle cam chain cover) and doing a straight swap. Will this work, what further issues can I expect to face? Will oil lines, exhaust and everything else work perfectly?
Is there anything else that could be causing excess smoke before I spend anything at all. I do run 20w50 full synthetic oil which im told isnt right could this alone be the cause of my smokey donk???
HEEELP MEEE!!!

blocked or kinked breather hose at the back top of the engine ?

the heads will interchange, but you'll need one with a matching exhaust port to what you have now

how many hours on your engine ?

motorman has a z160 head for sale atm, cheap too.

what brand/weight oil is it ?

its easy mate, if you can do the piston and rings yourself you can do the valve stem seals..
once the head is off.. undo the rocker retainer plate.. pull the rockers out
Then put the head on a doubed over rag, grab a spark plug spanner and put a rag over that.. Put it on your valve retainer hit it with the hammer, pull the valve out.. pull the seal out with some pliers.. then push your new ones on and reverse the cycle.. easy.
Should buy motormans one it will probably cost you more to buy a klx style pipe for your bike.. (assuming the yx head is klx style.)

Just do the seals

his Z160Ho engine will have the KLX exhaust port now.
motorman has the same head for sale.

the stem seals hardly ever leak/wear out, you should get 100-150+ hours use from a set.

oil line is the same for a Z Ho head and a YX head,

Buy my head. Have a HO and YX one and will sell it cheap. Bolt on and ready to go.

The HO one has like 5 hours on it and the YX is under 15.

motorman, do they both have KLX type exhaust ports ?
i think he'll need KLX so his exhaust will bolt on without modding it

motorman, do they both have KLX type exhaust ports ?
i think he'll need KLX so his exhaust will bolt on without modding it
klx-crf no problem needs 2 gaskets to take up the gap

Is either head better or worse for any reason performance wise?
Or should I do a full 188cc upgrade has anyone got any reviews on that setup??

yeah quite a few here have the 184cc big bore kits fitted, along with the TB V2 Race head
you will notice a lot more power from the Race Head than with just the big bore kit.

Is either head better or worse for any reason performance wise?
Or should I do a full 188cc upgrade has anyone got any reviews on that setup??
184 kit ftw, easy to install good tourque..
If you mean aswell as the tbv2head it would transform the bike Really making how the motor should be..
transmissions dont like it in the long run.. but there cheap.

155 head's cam springs suck.. lowers the redline capability the yx head will have better springs

So the 184cc big bore kit with v2 race head etc. In the photos on the dhz website theres alot small parts but after reading the description im led to believe all those bits are inside the head upon delivery, camshaft & roller rockers etc. Is installing that as easy as a basic top end rebuild? Hardest part in this case being taking the piston off the crank. Dont wanna get in over my head but if its easy ill just do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAdTzJ7hPgo
piss easy.. to take the piston off the crank is a little clip with a small screwdriver and the clip pops out then you can push the gudgeon pin out and pull the piston off..

valves are already installed on the head, so just put the rockers in, push there shafts through.. screw the retaining plate on.. install your previous cam gear and your as set as your old head..

then once its done you need to jet it, but thats quite easy too..

You have a handful of mechanics sitting here who can guide a monkey to rebuild a pitbike if you have any issues

Ok thanks. Wheres the best place to buy the whole kit from or is $770 the going rate??

$770 is the going rate, your getting quite a bit for that..
I believe you will be pleased once you have done it.. my motor feels "empty" with having the std bore and tb head

Now as for jetting the carby.
Does exhaust make a huge difference. Should I get the kit and a new exhaust before jetting the carby? I have a stock exhaust thats rusty from riding salt flats. Seems a shame to do all that work to probarbly change the exhaust later and have to re jet twice..

I wouldnt expect it to be more than a couple jet sizes larger or smaller..
Personally i would clean the pipe up with a wire brush but if you wish to go a after market pipe (maybe im just poor lol) then make sure you get a klx bend to match your new head port angles +stud size..

Today my engine blew.
Completely fckd now
Whats the best 160 stock engine
160ho, imo i would go daytona if you have the extra money.

If the rods not busted it may be better to go to a 184 kit and tb head..
Or the other head you were talking about.
What blew on it?

Latest posts

Back