YX cam chain cover came off!! (circle one)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim_

Reaction score
ok so this is how it went.... well went for a ride where i could open it up... top gear, wide open throttle for a bit... then finally pulled over to make a U bolt.... then out the bottom of my vision i saw smoke.. i immediately killed the engine and looked down to see oil all over the bash plate and exhaust... so i check the oil plate to see if it was leaking and nothing... that's when i noticed oil dripping from the other side of the engine... as moved my left leg away from my bike i saw my boot covered in oil... and the whole left hand side of my bike...... this is when i saw the cam chain cover was gone..... after pushing my bike back to the ute.. i decided follow the trail of oil and try and find the cover.... but alas to no a vale.. but i did notice it was a long trail and realized the cover had been off for a while...:hidesbehindsofa: so freaking out about how much damage i did to the engine i quickly went and brought a replacement cover.. it was then the guy at the shop said "yeah these bikes snap the bolt off all the time"so i then brought a replacement bolt go home and replaced the oil it had left in it and kicked it over... luckily i switched the engine off in time...:grinning-smiley-003:alc:

so this just to let people know to check their cam chain cover bolt on their YX to see its not over tightening and going to snap... also its the circular cover not the diamond shaped one..

Must be a 155z or 160 ho then if the cam cover is the oval shape, pretty unusal that 4 nuts/bolts came out causing it to come off, this is the first time i have heard of this prob ever mate, just glad you noticed and switched it off before it shutdown on you. Its strange how you follow the trail and the part is never to be seen, ive lost a muffler tip and dipstick before and noticed pretty quickly only to never find the parts again.

its only one bolt that goes through the entire engine from the oil plate on the other side of the head... its the yx 150 that atomik uses in their older bikes... i honestly couldn't tell you the type of engine it is besides what i have mentioned.. think its time i did find out tho...

P9270121.jpg

Last edited:
sorry dude:damnmate:, its been a while since i had the old style yx150 like that, the oil would of been pumping out the exhaust side also, when it broke it would of popped off instantly, your bike is bringing back memories when i had the same atomik with the grey frame and pegs and older style yx150. Glad shes okay now mate.

Latest posts

Back