YX or Z155

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jope22

Reaction score
I have looked many forums and threads about this topic bit couldnt find proper one.I need to choose between YX 160 or Z155 engine.Which one is betterer and more reliable and why? Sorry about the other thread in mini chat i got it in wrong place so sorry about that,have good day!

Hey bud welcome to miniriders personally I’ve had both afew z155 engines multiple yx150’s and I’ve just put a yx160 on one of my bikes in my opinion the yx motors are more reliable and can take a lot more punishment though the early z155 or z160ho which ever is stamped on them had afew dramas they are just a 155 engine and the yx160 is a true 160 engine which doesn’t make a huge difference if any but I had gearbox issues with the shift drum getting seized now it is a some what easy fix but can be a hassle
Now the yx160 is a strong reliable beast in stock form with a good carbie and tune they can fly yes the same can be said for the z155 there are a lot of aftermarket mods you can do with both like a big bore kit and v2 head upgrade
Personally if I where you I’d go with the yx160 even a yx150 over the z hell look at the yx140 engines they are probly more reliably but it really depends what you plan on using it for
And ultimately a motor in part is only as reliably as you make it look after something and it will look after you hope this helps :)

Keep us updated on your build

Thanks for asnwer! The yx160 woud be maybe better for me because i drive offroad and some road so extra torq isnt bad thing.Its going into CRF110F style frame and see how the hubs and spokes hold up.

yeah cool man sounds awesome
Will Be fine on that frame
You way need to manoeuvre the intake to the carb depending on how much clearance you have between the frame
And what I did on my 110 frame was cut down the inside of the front guard so there is space for the oil cooler

Thanks,i have couple 26mm adjustable intakes for yx160 so thats also one plus.with z155 i would need to buy different manifolds maybe to get it fit.

xxx-747, I disagree, zongshen are way more reliable then YX....hands down!!
I have 3 z155ho engines and yes one of them had the shift fork problem you mentioned but that was the first gen HO...2010
I still have 2 from 2012 running strong with no issues, 1 is stock with 67hours and the other has a v2 head with 26hours with not a single problem...
zongshen and Daytona engines are made in same factory...., Its a no-brainer!

also how many vendors do you see selling zongshen left/right crankcases???.....None, cos they dont fail like the YX.

AntNZ,Thanks for answer.I have time to choose till next month .Also do these magnetic sump plugs help or are those just waste of money?

Yeah I hear ya ant I guess everyone has there own experience but I just had bad experience with my ho engines not too say they are no good
Hell zs are made in same factory as Daytona I just haven’t had an issue with a yx engine touch wood
I jumped at getting a z155 when they came out

They just scare me out of trying another
We’re all different and have good and bad experience with almost everything pitbike related lol
And sometimes we have to learn the hard way

Now the zs 110 can take some serious punishment
I’m keen to try the zs190 at some point just to see how the 2valve 190’s go

get the Z mate!, and yes magnetic sump plugs are worth it, you will always get fine shavings on the magnet with a new engine as it wears in so dont panic when you see this, big chunks of metal is a different story! haha

I hear ya xxx, thought the same with my first gen z ho, but since then...almost 10 years zongshen is the only china engine I have faith in....and daytono of course..

AntNZ,Thanks for answer.I have time to choose till next month .Also do these magnetic sump plugs help or are those just waste of money?

There a must have thing dude they collect all the lil shavings in your engine and can be a good indicator if something is wrong

xxx-747, I'd hold off on the zs190 for now until they bring the next gen motor out, most are suffering from shift star and starter chain issues.
The way the 1 down 4 up star works is causing issues with the locking wheel riding off the star and losing all gears!
zongshen are aware of this issue and in the process of revising for new models.

This goes little off topic but i have heard that YX engines kickback alot even when started at TDC.Is that true and does Z155HO have the same kickback thing?
Also what about the oil filter? should i replace the oil filter whenever i change the oil?

Last edited:
Personally I have afew air filters and oil filters on hand so when I service my bikes. Generally change them but with the oil filter I recommend using a steel one and you don’t have to replace them very often just be sure to clean it out thoroughly
With the air filter you really want to soak it in either fuel or kerosine and I usually wash it out with soap and water afterwards and obviously be sure to dry it before you use it again
And as for the kickback I rarely notice it
If your wearing shoes it can get painful lol
But you’ll find if your timing is out it can among other issues be the reason it can kickback

xxx-747, I'd hold off on the zs190 for now until they bring the next gen motor out, most are suffering from shift star and starter chain issues.
The way the 1 down 4 up star works is causing issues with the locking wheel riding off the star and losing all gears!
zongshen are aware of this issue and in the process of revising for new models.

Yeah I’m in no rush tbh I’m more curious I’d rather do the 212 bbk on my Daytona than get another 190 lol

What i can get is Z155HO full kit+blue alloy magnetic sump plug or YX160 kit with rad type oil cooler,magnetic sump plug and molkt 26mm.What about the jetting on molkt? Will stock molkt jets be enough for 160 as seller doesnt mention the jet size on the molkt carb.I know molkt is good carb so im upgrading that next summer.Also available carb for 160 is PWK oko ysn 26mm flatslide carb.

Molkt carb run best in the rubbish bin!, They are shit, get a oko 26 flatslide, easy to tune and noticeable power gains.

I cant get my pe28 of my 190 to run good on my 160
I got a molkt on it atm and it’s goin ok
Until I get some jets for the keihin lol
The molkt will get you around for the time being but there not ideal
There are plenty of good carbs out there
And it’s a good way to learn how to try different jet sizes and see what works best and the climate you live in plays a massive part aswell and your sprockets play a big part aswell it’s about finding the right balance between both good down low power and top end generally the 26mm carb is the best all rounder for that size engine

Ok,thanks i will run the Molkt for next summer maybe.What about the oil? will Castrol Power 1 racing 15W50 synthetic be fine or what oil should i use?.I live in Finland so Putoline Dx4 is hard to get.We have brands like Bel-ray and Motul and Castrol. For running in i think mineral 10w40 is best? One youtuber in finland called Nuubishaac recomended me the Z155 and some guys YX160 so hard choice.Sorry for my bad languange,im not good at english.
I would chance the oil in 10hours and adjust valves at 20hours or 10 hours
And what do you prefer the running in style? should i run it in hard or just go easy

Also installed new Dunlop Geomax MX33 80/100-12" tire on rim but it got me thinking will i be OK with yx160/z155 without rimlock? the bike weights nothing and i run usually 30 psi on rear and little less on front.I think rim lock would make it shake very bad,i have 1 rear tyre tube left if the valve gets ripped off.Some folks say that its waste to put money into offbrand chinese with crf 110f style frame but i dont have other bikes to put my money in.Lot needed,better suspension and USD forks 760-770mm and lot of stuff,eventually it will be fine just little by little

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back