YX150/160, 155z top end build up and magneto mod

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only get kickback if i don't kick it past TDC first. Bike revs well throughout the rev range now. Guess I will leave it as is. But that grinding it half off thing is like one of those tranny shift mods we did, I like those simple mods.

have you marked up your flywheel with some degree measurements,
and checked exactly how much timing you are running?

Nup. If I get too enthusiastic about it, I'll just get an adjustable one I supppose

Only get kickback if i don't kick it past TDC first. Bike revs well throughout the rev range now. Guess I will leave it as is. But that grinding it half off thing is like one of those tranny shift mods we did, I like those simple mods.

Are you running the YX160 with the standard stator?

YX 150 with standard stator. It's all back together now, no grinding happened

YX 150 with standard stator. It's all back together now, no grinding happened

I was goin to mention i had the original when i brought mine, the kickback was nasty (for a small engine) but once i fitted the lifan/daytona ork it made a massive difference + no more kickback.

Really? What difference did it make?

with the outer rotor kit you have a smaller diameter flywheel, so less mass to spin.
then the timing is adjustable, so you can get it to fire when you want.
my lifan 150 had very bad kickback,
i thought something may break, either the kicker gears, the shaft or case?, even when started from just past TDC.
the outer rotor kit fixed this problem
and it still has plenty of engine braking, when backing off too.

they do need maching though to fit a YX motor

Last edited:
Yea, what Craig said. Makes it easier to start to i reckon. Only bad thing is it takes a touch out of the torque from the bottom end, so it stalls a bit easier, but a slightly faster idle sorts that out.

Latest posts

Back