YX160 ignition upgrade

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jay160cc

Reaction score
Hello all, brand new here and just after some links/advice on parts to use on my ignition system. Ive ordered a brand spanker Atomik Reign 160cc bigfoot. Yet to show up. Im looking for performance upgrade options only...

Whats a proven CDI to suit this bike?
Decent quality performance coil and lead?
Ive got a NGK CR7HIX plug as a start.
Im just not sure weather I believe tge ebay adds for 'performance coils' etc.

And should I be upgrading the stator ?

Cheers, Jay

the standard Stator and CDI are fine

i would just add a Splitfire spark plug lead to your coil

edit; Welcome to Miniriders Jay

make sure you drop in and say hello in our Introduce Yourself thread too.

a couple of other members here use the Takegawa coil like motorman suggested,
have a look in the What did the Postie bring you thread to check you get the correct part number

cheers, craig

Last edited:
Hey mate and welcome to Miniriders.

Perfect CDI is a TB Parts Race CDI. You can get these from classic honda 50's.
For the coil and lead you can go a taky or Pirhana one. Both are good.
That spark plug will do to start but an iridium is always a good addition

Your right to be hesitant about those ebay coils. Most are junk. Stick with good proven brands like taky or Pirhana X. ;)

that CR7HIX is an Irridium plug motorman

when you get the bike look at the engine, it could be this style 160 engine too, so the CDI could be different

IMG_20140308_192730_zps2pjgvsgs.jpg

Last edited:
found coils and cdi box..cheers. might wait to make sure I get the right pinned cdi. Unless someone knows what it will be?

Cheers fellas sorry to be a pain, can I have a link to said coils and CDI ???
Ive googled that site but cant find anything??

Also, off topic to subject of thread, im 100kg 6'2" what weight fork oil should I start with, without stuffing my seals to quick??
Same volume and a 15w??

Last edited:
If it were me i would be replacing the whole stator or at least doing the magnet shave as they (the YX160) had a nasty kick back, so i fitted a lifan/daytona adjustable stator, which stoped the kick-back all together and made it rev like hell :) But each person has their own opinion. The only downside i found was that the stator is lighter which makes it stall easier. As for the CDI and coil mine came as part of the bundle i ordered from Firepower in the states, as he was the only person around who would machine the plate down to fit the YX160's, still not sure of anyone in Aus that does.

anyone can get the stator backing plate machined here timeeh, it just needs 3mm taken off the stator mounting face
there are pics of my Adjustable Outer Rotor kit here, and what needs to be done-
http://www.miniriders.com/electrica...otor-stator-conversion-z155ho-z160ho-etc.html

this is the same as the Adjustable stator/ignition kit Timeeh is talking about, it is an upgrade on the standard ignition the Reign comes with
Electrics CDI Coil Stator Kill Switch Lifan Dirt PIT Bike 110 125 CC 140 150 | eBay

you could modify your yx160 Flywheel to give you less kick back too, check out this thread

Last edited:
mine cost me $20 to have done at a local machinist, i'm sure i could find someone cheaper too if i had searched a bit more.
all up mine cost $83 including the complete adjustable outer rotor kit i linked above

Last edited:
mine cost me $20 to have done at a local machinist, i'm sure i could find someone cheaper too if i had searched a bit more.
all up mine cost $83 including the complete adjustable outer rotor kit i linked above

My "local" guys wouldn't fart for that kind of money :( The joys of living in Cantberra....

Okay guys thanks so much for all the help! Ive decided to do the following!
Flywheel mod (freaking easy)
TB Race CDI (ordered)
Pirhana coil and lead (ordered)
NGK Iridium plug (obtained)

Thanks guys!

Latest posts

Back