YZ85 to CR250R?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foley

Reaction score
So I sold my bike a couple years back, it was a YZ85 06' model and was great for a few months, but a car came along and I decided to sell it for that.

I'm 16, 5ft 5" 55kg and looking for a new bike. My budget is around $1000-1500 so just looking for an old 2 smoker, preferably 90' and up. Just wondering how a 250 would go compared to the 85? The 85 was quick, but to my standard not quick enough and that was 2 years ago at 14 and about 5ft 40kg. I'm just thinking that a 125 will get boring and I'll be wanting more power, so is the 250 a good idea? I don't ride too often, up the river and that, an XR250R would be perfect, but the power issue is there, I'll be wanting something faster.

How expensive would an old 93' CR250R be to run? There's one for sale for $1000, clutch cable it getting bad and parts are getting stiff apparently from sitting. The bike looks pretty sweet, last rebuild done a good 2 years ago. I've read up a bit and it says that most people do a top end first thing on a used bike. I would do the same, but I'd have to get a dealership to do it as I only know the basic general maintenance (Cleaning air filter, dumping oil) and I'm pretty sure that would cost $500+ which I don't have at the moment.

only problem with 2 strokes and specially the older ones is you can never know how the bottom end is..

get one for as cheap as you can that way it will allow for a bottom end rebuild as well..

Alright cheers guys. I don't know how to do one myself, so I'd have to get a store to do it. If I got them to service it would they check to see if it needs a rebuild? Or should I just tell hem to do a top and bottom end rebuild? How much will this cost approx? :S low on funds.

Uhhg hmm. Well I think I'll give it a service at least before I ride it, they will let me know whats wrong with it won't they? or what needs replacing soon? (rebuild for example) I don't have that kinda money atm.

Last edited:
ive got a yz 85 2003 i would let it go for $1500 but there a awesome bike mate im about your weight and age and im still loving it :) i have heaps of fun on it love the 2 stroke power

yeah mine might have been more because it accaully locked up, i wasnt happy i done like under an hour on top end haha, it cost 900 and the bike only sold for 1900 and i ddnt even get to ride it on the top and bottom end the shop sold it for me,

Uhhg hmm. Well I think I'll give it a service at least before I ride it, they will let me know whats wrong with it won't they? or what needs replacing soon? (rebuild for example) I don't have that kinda money atm.

ok well thats going to be a problem straight up lol... 2 stroke and having no money.. the bike will be sitting in your garage for ever..

2 strokes need lots of loving lol...

and to everyone else quoting prices.. are these parts prices or total cost including shop labour.. there pretty cheap prices.. for a total top and bottom rebuild all parts and oils etc are around 900+

yea my kx was including labour, im pritty sure it was 900-1000 at yamaha, and that was with me pulling the motor out and putting it back in, so it would be a couple hundred more if u got them to take motor out and put back in.

Kawasaki kx85 great condition $1100 ONO. | Motorcycles & Scooters | Gumtree Gilberton

KX85 2000 model for 1100..? Must be something wrong with it.

Anyway, the CR250R looks like it's been pulled out of the rubbish tip, yet it still runs and still has good compression. Started on 3rd kick when I tried. I'm only using it for riding up the river, maybe do it 2-3 times a year so why not? Would it start after not being started for a while?

Last edited:
and to everyone else quoting prices.. are these parts prices or total cost including shop labour.. there pretty cheap prices.. for a total top and bottom rebuild all parts and oils etc are around 900+

well my invoice stated as follows;

1x Hot Rods Crank Kit $113.64
1x Main Bearings & seals Kit $80.00
1x Crank Rebuild True and Aligned $72.72
1x Piston Kit $114.00
1x Needed water pump kit $113.10

Plus alot of other mods that i want to keep secret. He then forgot to charge me labor for dis-assembly and assembly!!!! it was a very cheap rebuild. total cost of rebuild $380.36 without water pump kit.

He initially quoted me around $280 for labor from memory.

well my invoice stated as follows;

1x Hot Rods Crank Kit $113.64
1x Main Bearings & seals Kit $80.00
1x Crank Rebuild True and Aligned $72.72
1x Piston Kit $114.00
1x Needed water pump kit $113.10

Plus alot of other mods that i want to keep secret. He then forgot to charge me labor for dis-assembly and assembly!!!! it was a very cheap rebuild. total cost of rebuild $380.36 without water pump kit.

He initially quoted me around $280 for labor from memory.

bore work?
gasket kit?
Reeds?
oil?
plug?
coolant?
clutch kit?
list grows and grows as you do it.

280 for labour is cheap, im guessing you gave him just the engine. oh and your prices seem below retail so thats good going apart from the conrod assemble labour

XR250 have lack of power but are virtually bomb-proof from my experiance i'd save up abit more cash an get a crf my friend!

Latest posts

Back