Z50J PROJECT

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MICKY BOY

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm interested in building a Z50J replica in Brisbane Australia and wondering if anyone could give me some advice as wether to buy a second hand frame and build on it, or if anyone has succesfully built one from scratch with an aftermarket frame and then had an engineer pass it for rego...... Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would be very interesting to see one built as an ICV. Easier to start with a Tonelli M125 to avoid the engineers costs.

Cheers @ MAD...... Yeah I've seen the Tonelli's and they look great but bit out of my price range hence wanting to make it a project. As a student I'd be doing this , not so much on a budget, but over the course of a few months so as to try and avoid spending $2000-$3000 in one hit. Maybe i could find a second hand Tonelli which i'm guessing would not hold thier value aswell as a ridgy didge Z50.

Cheers @ MAD...... Yeah I've seen the Tonelli's and they look great but bit out of my price range hence wanting to make it a project. As a student I'd be doing this , not so much on a budget, but over the course of a few months so as to try and avoid spending $2000-$3000 in one hit. Maybe i could find a second hand Tonelli which i'm guessing would not hold thier value aswell as a ridgy didge Z50.

to build a z50 frame and to get it engineered will cost you more then buying a hole tonelli bike,

if your looking for a bike you could register look for a comp z50 frame or a cheap roller bike

It will not be a cheap exercise regardless.

Thanks guys, and yeah i realise it would cost quite a bit eitherway...... I've seen Tonelli's without rego for $1995 but im in brisbane and i dont think they'll sell'm up here. I'll probably keep looking for a complianced frame and go from there..... the rest of the parts are easy enough to source. Even a st70 would be cool. I've seen big groups of mini rider's out at the goldcoast ....... look's like good fun :)

Thanks guys, and yeah i realise it would cost quite a bit eitherway...... I've seen Tonelli's without rego for $1995 but im in brisbane and i dont think they'll sell'm up here. I'll probably keep looking for a complianced frame and go from there..... the rest of the parts are easy enough to source. Even a st70 would be cool. I've seen big groups of mini rider's out at the goldcoast ....... look's like good fun :)

tonelli has a dearler up in qld jump on there site and have a look
http://www.tonelli.com.au/dealers.aspx

Last edited:
Thanks @ Gav......... have seen that link b4 and it must be old, thou there's one at helensvale ( goldcoast ) I'm not too far from there so ill check it out :)

I just finished a z50r build in which I only really had a frame to start from. It's an expensive way of doing it plus you need to beable to source the parts. You are far better off satring with a complete bike with all the parts that can be refurbished. If you are lucky enough, you'll beable to pick up a complete bike cheap. Tomorrow I'm looking at a z50j in reasonable nick for $200.

gold coast and its surrounds is z50 meca good luck finding a cheap 1 , look for a frame as a base .300 to 500 for a comped frame , then the money starts , china built bike ..........1500 to 4k ............ top of the line jap spec ...........2k to 20 k

a good complete bike wit all the bits .... stock ..... 1500 to 2k ...... sounds like fun hu

@ MATTRIX...... Yeah once again, " i realise it aint gonna be cheap to build " as for parts, they are too easy to aquire....... and thats why im thinking of looking for a complianced frame and buying only the parts i want rather than buy something thats not quite what i want. I'd be happy to pay a good few hundred ......probably upto $500 depending on the model and condition. If your after parts MATTRIX, try EBAY......... there's an unbelievable amount of reproduction spares for these things aswell as enging parts and even complete engine's ;)

My grandfather used to have a Z50J in immaculate condition back in the 80's and i think he paid like $200 for it......... it had the golf bag side car lol

pretty common for them to be golf mobiles for the elderly folk..

I wonder how hard it would be to have a non compliant Z frame, compled by an engineer.. what actually differs on a complied frame to a non complied, aside from the obvious ADR tag!?

Very true @ foolsp33d. Its easy enough to get brand new frames which would be ideal but only if it didnt cost alot to have passed.

pretty common for them to be golf mobiles for the elderly folk..

I wonder how hard it would be to have a non compliant Z frame, compled by an engineer.. what actually differs on a complied frame to a non complied, aside from the obvious ADR tag!?

the frames are the same
but the cost to get one complied would cost you between 500-1000

@ GAVGAV ........ i dont suppose you know where to get them complied? I know it has to be passed by an engineer ...... but would like to know of an actuall engineer worth contacting about this ???? I meen if i wer'e to build a z50 from the ground up including brand new frame...... really it shouldnt be too hard considering the Z50 has been a road registerable bike longer thna i've been alive lol

to get a bike engineered now you would have to put front and rear disc brakes blinkers atleast 300mm apart at the rear,
as your trying to get the bike complied at the 2011 rules not the 1975 rules,

its going to work out alot cheaper to find a bike on ebay that complied for 1000-2000

@ MATTRIX...... Yeah once again, " i realise it aint gonna be cheap to build " as for parts, they are too easy to aquire....... and thats why im thinking of looking for a complianced frame and buying only the parts i want rather than buy something thats not quite what i want. I'd be happy to pay a good few hundred ......probably upto $500 depending on the model and condition. If your after parts MATTRIX, try EBAY......... there's an unbelievable amount of reproduction spares for these things aswell as enging parts and even complete engine's ;)

Trying to figure out if there was a bit of attitude in that reply. Yes Ebay does have heaps of reproduction parts, some are ok, most are rubbish. I ordered a z50r exhaust form a well know supplier (wont mention the name) and it looked like it had been made by a 10 yr old. If you want to buid a bike completely out of cheap after market parts, go for it, but i wouldnt waste my time or money!

@ MATTRIX79 No aditude mate..... just explaining to people my sdituation so as i might get some advice . As for the parts , there are cheap and dodgey parts but if you know what to look for there's some really good stuff too..... like billet frame's.... never seen honda do that with a z50. Have you ever seen a tonelli? All after market parts with thier name on it ;)

Latest posts

Back