z50R won't start!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whirlybird

Reaction score
My neighbor has an '85 Z50R that he needed some basic maintenence done on. I didn't ride the bike beforehand but it had no problem starting up. I changed the oil and cleaned it off really well. I also removed the right side engine case to clean the oil filter and took off the clutch cover to clean the oil spinner. When I was finished it started up right away, idled for a couple seconds then died. I couldn't get it to start again. I let it sit for the night and it did the same thing the next day and now I can't get it to start at all. Wtf? All I did was basic stuff, is there something I could have put together wrong on the clutch side that would cause this?

Id be cleaning the carby out, and dropping the fuel incase it is contaminated with water, is the spark plug tight and coil terminals on tight and not loose fitting. Was the choke on or off.

have you replaced the spark plug ? a old plug might be the problem, rather common on these motors as the carbis are setup to rich and foul the plugs.

Plug is new and is tight, coil is tight. Tried it with the choke, half choke, and no choke all with the same end result.

Thinking about it more, I did have the bike on its side at one point. Gonna check the carb and clean it out, I'm thinking something may have been dislodged in there.

let us know how you go.

Yeah like they saying , clean carby use some fresh fuel.

Other then that im thinkn 85 z50r still be 6v with points so maybe try clean & a just them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACz_Nd0d2F4

You check valve clearance, valves could be rideing which make it not run very well, or at all if real bad.

Last edited:
Ok, so I finally got time to tinker on this again. Took the tank off and drained it out, took the carb off and cleaned it out, put it all back together. Plug is getting wet so fuel is there.

*Note* I damaged the old coil taking it off so I bought a replacement (Ebay) but the plug wire was too short so I mounted it on the flat plate under the back of the tank.

I have power up to the coil as per a test light that told me so. I am getting a very small amount of power out of the coil. Enough to lightly shock me but not enough to spark the plug or light the test light. Now: the wire that comes from the points and goes to the coil...I test it off the coil and it gets power, as soon as I put it on the coil it no longer gets power. Correct me if I am wrong, but the coil is supposed to be grounded right? It seems like it was where it was factory mounted.

are you sure you got the correct coil?! if you got a 12V one.. and its a 6v bike.. it is probably the issue..

pictures! :D

WE LOVE PICTURES!!
I like it how you didnt disclose damaging the coil in the first place :LOL:

Lol, that is because it happened after the fact. It wasn't getting spark before I damaged the coil. I've been meaning to check with a multimeter but mine wasn't working so I went out and got another today. It is showing 0.7-1.0 volts out of the stator when being kicked. Does anyone know what it is supposed to be? Still, power out of the stator when the coil is not plugged in and absolutely nothing when it is plugged in.

Oh and yes, it is a 6V coil.

is the compression on the bike ok? maybe a loose wire on the wiring harness with the kill switch:confused-smiley-013

Latest posts

Back