picked up a second bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougy

Reaction score
I recently bought my first bike, a well used orion apollo 125cc as per this thread http://www.miniriders.com/chinese-minis/39391-new-dirt-bikes.html
I had decided I need a 2nd bike so I can ride with my son when he comes to stay and so I can ride with friends.

I just picked up a TDR PRO 150cc for $450. guy had bought it for his wife. she didn't rally take to it and less than two tanks of fuel through it and now she is pregnant. The bike has awsome compression.

I know some people on this forum warn against TDR's but I figured at that price with the engine not even run in I wasn't losing much on the bike.....

Took it home and put fresh fuel in it. It is feels much better to sit on then the 125 and just from circling the backyard in 1st I can tell it has a lot more power.....

Unfortunately the dramas have already begun, but I think it is more a matter of being an almost new china bike with original bolts rather than being cursed with a TDR.

Once we warmed it up I threw it on a stand to do an oil change. I checked with the guy I bought it from and he said he had change the oil but not cleaned the filter screen. I decided to pull of the clutch cover. during the process I noticed that some bolts were a lot tighter than others. Being new at it and in a hurry I commenced pulling the stator side off by mistake...... in the process I found one bolt that was overtightened and when I tried to refit it, it would not take. I discovered that the thread was full of metal from the engine and when I removed it, it had nothing left to screw into... I figured one bolt missing from the stator cover shouldn't matter..... Next I managed to strip the head of one of the bolts holding up the foot pegs. Then I managed to break an easyout in it....... I'm going to have to borrow a high powered dremal and take the head of it..... not a great start.

I read on these forums that often the TDR150 is actually just a lifan 140. Can anyone tell me from the engine number if this is actually a 140 or 150?

CAM00167.jpgCAM00168.jpg

good score, looks like new still.

yeah it's a Lifan 140
the 150 has an engIne model 1P56FMJ

the KLX style seat, and TTR seats are a lot more comfortable.

bike is totally stock accept for the seat! His wife complained it was to tuff so he took it to an upholsterer and spent like $50 to get it redone. it is really nice!

used a carbide bit in a power drill to grind the head of the bolt off. eventually managed to get the pegs and kickstand assembly out. My as new bike is not looking quite as new anymore....

after all that I got the clutch off and checked the oil filter screen and it was spotless.... I thought I read somewhere here that a good run in schedule is to change the oil after each tank of fuel and that there is often a lot of metal on the screen the first few times......

yeah your right about the filter screen, metal builds up in there from the piston bedding into the bore/rings. and yeah changing the oil every 1 tank for 3 tanks is a good thing to do, you could probably do 2 tanks, but best to be on the safe side :)

judging by the picture on the link and the ebay research i did they seem to be the same bike... and the tmx pro in the picture on your link actually has tdr graphics

was using an open face helmet up until now. Bought a proper motocross helmet this morning and some rather expensive gloves....

took a friend and both bikes out for a run today. result was disappointing. We got to our destination and unloaded both bikes. In the process ended up with a fuel line coming loose on the TDR and fuel leaking everywhere. fixed this and didn't think any more of it..... Took the 125 for a lap round the dam then took the 140. Straight away I could tell how much more powerful it was, 2nd gear feels like 3rd on the 125! After I had warmed them up I started to go for a ride on a bush trail with my friend following me. Maybe 300m down the track it straightened up and I changed into 3rd and all of a sudden I started to experience some bad back firing. Was losing power and speed so moved back into 2nd. Back firing continued until the engine died. It didn't want to start again..... Pushing the bike back to the car was going to be a b*tch so my friend idled along and pushed me with his foot. From now on I plan on carrying a rope when we have two bikes so one can be towed back more easily. got back to the car and pulled the spark plug. Could not see a spark but wasn't sure if it was because it was too bright outside.... switched the plug out of the 125. Managed to get it to fire once or twice but it just backfired and died out within a few seconds. We decided we might as well wait until it was back in the garage to diagnose any further.... Spent the afternoon exploring on the 125. my friend decided not to ride anymore. Was a good afternoon but I felt really down about my new bike the whole time.....

got the bikes home and pulled the plastics of the 140. Next I removed the seat. I discovered that the CDI was in a really bad position..... it was positioned upside down with the plugs right underneath the fuel tap! The plugs had become soaked in fuel! I removed the fuel tank and then used some inox followed by my air compressor to dry out the plugs and sockets. Bike fired up straight away and ran fine! Next I spun the CDI around and moved the wires to the other side of the frame. No more fuel is going to leak into it now! When remounting the fuel tank I replaced the fuel lines and filter as it turns out it was leaking as well..... bike is running fine now but I still haven't got to take it for a real run, never even got to open it up in 3rd yet :( can't wait to feel the top end power!

sounds like you still had fun though.
once it is sorted you will be out riding for hours i bet.
it's all part of the fun owning a pit bike.

i mount my cdi and coils, so if they get wet, the water etc will run away from the plugs/sockets.
also i use dielectric grease on the terminals to lessen the chance of corrosion and bad connections.

its also a good idea to cover the connections lightly in some silicone. this will ensure you never have that problem again :)

the other week I placed an order for a magnetic sump plug. Was going to be for my first bike but now will be used on this bike, especially since the engine is still being run in. here is the plug I bought http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/171128460623?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It turned up today and I'm not very impressed with it.... It is made of plastic!! with the tip being a magnet that is glued into it..... don't like the plastic thread.....

can anybody link me to a quality magnetic plug?

A lot has happened since my last posts. Have gone out riding lots, had at least one major stack and worked on the bikes heaps..... the latest drama I am having is carby problems I think. The bike now starts to miss under load once the throttle is opened up.... I'm thinking it is a blocked main jet but so far no luck with cleaning it. I was planning on buying a better carbie for it at some stage anyway so if I don't work it out soon that will be what I do. So..... this is where I need some advice. for the first bike, the 125cc I bought this carby http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/mikuni-26mm-racing-carburetor-kit-90cc-110cc-125cc/CARB-001 The jets 15/95 are what I found recommend on this forum and it runs great. I'm looking at this carby for the 140cc http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/mikuni-30mm-racing-carburetor-kit-140cc-150cc-160cc/CARB-002 This carby comes with jets 20/100. Will that be OK for a stock 140cc or do I need to start with smaller jets?

there's not much difference in size with the 125 and 140,
i would be getting the china Mikuni copy 26mm again, any bigger and it wont want to rev properly
it wont have the correct air speed to atomise the fuel properly
holding it at WOT, it'll take a long time to rev out too.

tuning it to suit the 140, it might need a slightly bigger Main Jet, around a 100, and possibly a #20 or #22
Pilot Jet too
tell DHZ what size engine it's going on and they might recommend a jet to suit, and may even fit it for you too ?

Thanks my67xr. Nice to know I can count on you for advice! I rang a few different dhz dealers and received different advice from all of them. The first said the 26mm Mikuni with stock jets (15/95) would be fine, when I questioned this he agreed I might need to increase the mixture. The next dealer said that the OKO 26mm was a way better carb and that the stock jets would be fine, said they bolt heaps on and they go great with no tuning. This forum suggests the stock jets are way too big on the OKO's. They also can't change the jets they are supplied with and didn't want to fit the jets I bought for me. Don't get me wrong, DHZ are great, but without this forum to supplement them I would not be impressed with the outcome! So in the end I ordered the 26mm Mikuni plus a 20 and a 100 jet to replace the stock ones.

ok, carby fitted with larger jets and bike seems to be running the best it ever has. The Jing Ke carb I pulled of had a more assessable fuel screw, I was turning it with an old hose clamp opened up and bent at 90 deg. The fuel screw on the mikuni's is a b*tch to get at! I would really like to fine tune my bikes. Can somebody suggest anything cheaper and faster to get than this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mikuni-2...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d11f781ef

I have seen some replacement screws with a thumb piece on the end but don't think any of the ones I found suits these carbs.....

reviving an old post as I need help with a rear shock. I have read here that the TDR150 rear shock is crap and I have to agree. I weigh about 85kg and if I sit while riding fast over dips it scrubs out. I mostly ride a CR125 now so this is my sons bike, he weighs around 60kg. We have just started jumping so need to upgrade it! It seems to be around 280mm but I have no idea what the spring lb rating is. Any advice on what lb rating I should be looking for?

Latest posts

Back