Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My carby isn't quite like that... Yours seems like it hooks under the brass plate. Whereas mine just sits on it (so if the brass plate moves down it won't pull the needle down as well)

Here's an up close of the needle
4024d1280763220-leaking-carb-please-help-141_0707_16_z-keihin_fcr_carb_tech-float_needle.jpg

Could I just cover the needle and hole in 2 stroke oil? to stop it from sticking?

It seems that i'm not getting any fuel into the bowl unless it sits overnight... Can I take the needle out, Then see if fuel is coming through?

yeah, as gooseman said ^^,

slide the tab on the float arm inside the wire loop on the needle.
then carefully lower the needle into the seat on the carby using the brass float arm,
then refit the pin to hold it all together.

if it wasn't hooked into the wire, it wound't let fuel flow into the fuel bowl, and wont start.

also with your float, yours may sit different to mine if the carby is different.
in the bottom of your fuel bowl, is there 4 raised lines cast into the alloy ?
if there is, the flat side of the float will sit to the bottom of the fuel bowl, not with the raised sections down as i said above.

post up pics of anything you are unsure of,
and we can confirm it's right, or advise you how to refit it if you need.

Thanks so much guys, Had no idea. I'll take it apart again and post some pictures

yeah, as gooseman said ^^,

also with your float, yours may sit different to mine if the carby is different.
in the bottom of your fuel bowl, is there 4 raised lines cast into the alloy ?
if there is, the flat side of the float will sit to the bottom of the fuel bowl, not with the raised sections down as i said above.

post up pics of anything you are unsure of,
and we can confirm it's right, or advise you how to refit it if you need.

Hey mate, I had a look in the bottom of the bowl and there were 3 raised lines in the alloy... I forgot what you said and just put it all back together, Now when I connect back the fuel tank the bowl will fill up in about 10-20 seconds, Then all the rest of the fuel will just pour out of the overflow hose....

Will it be pouring out of the overflow due to the fact to float is the wrong way around, Or is the float the right way?

it could be overflowing due to the float being upside down,
but it could also be due to something being stuck in the needle and seat too.

when they make the fuel tanks, sometimes they don't clean then up inside too well,
they get little bits of plastic shavings etc sitting in the bottom of the tank.
if one of these bits goes down the fuel line into the carby, it can hold the needle and seat open, and cause it to overflow.

it could be overflowing due to the float being upside down,
but it could also be due to something being stuck in the needle and seat too.

when they make the fuel tanks, sometimes they don't clean then up inside too well,
they get little bits of plastic shavings etc sitting in the bottom of the tank.
if one of these bits goes down the fuel line into the carby, it can hold the needle and seat open, and cause it to overflow.

Since I have only 3 lines in the bowl, Do you think the float should be ridge side up or down?

yeah, same as mine
it goes in that way up, so the flat side is on the bottom

for sure, may need to set the float level again too :) happy riding

Hmmm, I turned around the float (So the flat side is on the bottom of the bowl) and the corrugated side is actuacting the metal prong lever thingy and it still keeps leaking out of the overflow....
It's not just a drip drip it's a steady flow of just the whole fuel tank...

Does the float needle have to be a certain way around when connected onto the metal prong thing, Or do I need to adjust the float level?

Hmmm, I turned around the float (So the flat side is on the bottom of the bowl) and the corrugated side is actuacting the metal prong lever thingy and it still keeps leaking out of the overflow....
It's not just a drip drip it's a steady flow of just the whole fuel tank...

Does the float needle have to be a certain way around when connected onto the metal prong thing, Or do I need to adjust the float level?
probably adjust float level.. just bend the tab up a bit..

so the brass tab in the middle of the arm needs to be bent up, towards the needle a couple of mm

you should check out whether the fuel shuts off ok when the float lifts
try hooking up the fuel line, turning it on, with the fuel bowl off.
then lift the float arm, and check the fuel stops flowing out.
the brass float arms shouldn't touch the top, inside the carby, before the fuel stops coming out

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I took the bowl off and pushed up the metal tab with my finger and I had to push it really really high for it to stop, I'll try and put it on something level and higher so I can take a better look (It's so low to the ground I can't see under it)

So, as Zwebx said should I try to bend it enough that it will stop releasing fuel once it is level with the end of the jet?

Thanks for that, I took the bowl off and pushed up the metal tab with my finger and I had to push it really really high for it to stop, I'll try and put it on something level and higher so I can take a better look (It's so low to the ground I can't see under it)

So, as Zwebx said should I try to bend it enough that it will stop releasing fuel once it is level with the end of the jet?

Yeah i think thats how its done.. never been good at setting float heights.. trial and error may be nessorcary..
aslong as it cuts the fuel before the overflow height it wont over flow (may flood the engine)

with my float level set,
with the needle and seat closed there is about 9mm of jet hanging below the float,
and 4mm above, between the float and base of the carby
here is the photo of mine, click on it to enlarge it

013.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back