110cc Chinese quad bike electrical problems

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel D

Reaction score
IMG_0038.JPGIMG_0039.JPGIMG_0041.JPGIMG_0043.JPG
Hi all. I have a 110cc Chinese quad bike that I'm having electrical issues with. After removing fender to expose wireing I have noticed it has some sort of anti theft device (see pics) and also has a black wire not connected to anything from what I ussume is part of factory anti theft device.
Also in one of the pics is something at the back of the bike. Anyon know what this is?
Also at on stage the bike started to turn over and what I think is the starter rely is getting very hot (see pic). Couldn't stop by from slowly turning over until I disconnected the battery. Key and all wouldn't stop it.
Can anyone please help me with these issues.

not 100% sure but if its not running but the starter is getting really hot it could be that the negative and positive are on the wrong sides. Could also be a dead starter motor itself

The third pic shows the safety device, there is a strap connected to the black rubber cover, the strap is originally approx 2m long and is supposed to trail behind the quad, if your kids goes to take off on you, you pull on the strap and the rubber cover will come off tripping the kill switch. If the engine wont fire(eg no spark) then this could be your issue.
Sounds like you have quite a few seperate issues to work through, start by powering the the starter motor directly from the battery bypassing all wiring. If it doesnt smoke you have a wiring issue, if it smokes either the starter is stuffed or the motor is siezed/stuck hence the starter is smoking.
The loose black wire is probably an antenna for a wireless kill switch (the unit looks like the one on my mates daughters quad) or an antenna for the anti theft device. Dont go disconnecting anything like this until you get it running otherwise you may be making more work for yourself (multiple wiring faults making it impossible to solve one as the other fault/s stop you from knowing when you've solved the first). You certainly have your work cut out for you

Last edited:
The third pic shows the safety device, there is a strap connected to the black rubber cover, the strap is originally approx 2m long and is supposed to trail behind the quad, if your kids goes to take off on you, you pull on the strap and the rubber cover will come off tripping the kill switch. If the engine wont fire(eg no spark) then this could be your issue.
Sounds like you have quite a few seperate issues to work through, start by powering the the starter motor directly from the battery bypassing all wiring. If it doesnt smoke you have a wiring issue, if it smokes either the starter is stuffed or the motor is siezed/stuck hence the starter is smoking.
The loose black wire is probably an antenna for a wireless kill switch (the unit looks like the one on my mates daughters quad) or an antenna for the anti theft device. Dont go disconnecting anything like this until you get it running otherwise you may be making more work for yourself (multiple wiring faults making it impossible to solve one as the other fault/s stop you from knowing when you've solved the first). You certainly have your work cut out for you

Thanks. Will it start with the anti theft device attached as I have no remote or anything with bike?
Can this be bypassed to see if it starts?
Thanks for your time?

Thanks. Will it start with the anti theft device attached as I have no remote or anything with bike?
Can this be bypassed to see if it starts?
Thanks for your time?

So I tried disconnecting the anti theft and it makes no difference. Checked over wireing again and everything looks ok. I then tried connecting the battery and it tried to turn over engine very very slowly then stopped whilst both the key and ignition switch were in the off position. Turning key on and ignition switch didn't make a difference. Every time now when I touch negative lead to battery terminal it does that same thing.
Could this be the starter rely? At least that's what I think it is. It's in the previous pics. Where the positive from battery goes to and then to starter.

Any help would be much appreciated.

so this is where I'm up too.

The bike has now stopped trying to turn over when I connect the battery. Battery is still fully charged.
I have tried crossing the solenoid and the starter very slowly cranks over but nowhere near fast enough to start bike. So I took spark plug out and crossed solenoid and the bike cranks over as it should. I then attached spark plug to coil and crossed solenoid again and it has spark. After installing spark plug it still cranks over very slow and won't start.
The starter button on handle bars is not working when I try to use it to start bike but when pressed I can hear a slight clicking sound coming from solenoid.

Does this sound like it's just a solenoid issue? It's just strange when I bridge the solenoid it doesn't turn over fast like when I had spark plug out.

Thanks for your time guys.

Solenoid sound like its def dead. Starter might be stuffed too if it can't crank over the motor under compression

Solenoid sound like its def dead. Starter might be stuffed too if it can't crank over the motor under compression

Thanks motodevo. Replaced both and now starts and runs great after a good carb clean.

Congrats, glad to hear you sorted it

So I've noticed that the head and engine are getting very very hot after only a few minutes of running. Even though I have changed the oil it has a burnt smell and I've only ran it for approx 20min in total.
When I first did the oil change after getting bike it had a lot of sludge visable inside the oil filler hole which I scraped out the best I could.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is causing this? Could there be a blockage somewhere stopping oil from circulating around engine/head?
I would pull head off and see if there is a blockage but I'd have to remove entire engine from quad to do this which I'm trying to avoid.

Any help/suggestions would be great. Thanks for your time guys

Take the rectangular cover off the side of the head, you should see oil coming out with a few hits of the starter

Latest posts

Back