Cracked AGB-27 Frame - rough fix

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLICK

Reaction score
MY Agb-27, (A.K.A Atomic AX, Orion Pro?, Tomahawk, Field Pro) frame cracked up around the top shocky mount, it tore up the rear of the square tube it's mounted on, and there were quite bad stress cracks around the front of the mount... I doubt it would have been a problem if the bike was made a little better, the square tube going between the side spars is only about 1mm thick which is way too thin, the shock mount wasn't welded around the back where the shock forces up, and the reinforcing gussets on either side of the mount were put in where they didn't do anything...

I contacted the eBay seller I purchased it from and they sent me a replacement frame... it had the same faults as the old one so I decided to do a quick and rough repair job on the old frame.. and wait and see where it breaks next... Down the track I'll brace up the spare frame and swap my running gear over...

Cracked1-s.JPG

Cracked-c.JPG

There's another thread here by DanFX about the side spars breaking on an AGB-27, so I wanted to do some other reinforcing as well:
http://www.miniriders.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=6682
dsc001780ju.jpg

I started by cutting out the gussets and hammering the mount down so the bits ripped up from the tube were back in place.
Gussetsgone.jpg

Then I welded up all the cracks and welded around the mount (inside and out), then ground and filed the welds down so they weren't sticking out too far.

firstweld-s.jpg

Then cut a couple of bits of 50mm angle 3mm thick to weld in around the mount:
angle-s.JPG

I haven't used a MIG welder in a few years so my welds are pretty daggy.. but they'll do the job...

Here they are welded in...
angleswelded-s.jpg

The square tube was only welded to the side spars along the front and rear edges at the ends, so I welded the top and bottom edges to the spars...
TopSparsWeld-s.JPG

I can't be bothered writing anymore right now so I'll continue this thread later...

The pic of the air cleaner isn't mine... it's from DanFX's thread...

Flipped her upside down to tackle to underside:
Usd%20-s.jpg

Noticed stress marks on the side spars at the front of the square tube, it looks like the spars will break eventually...
sidesstress-sjpg.jpg

So I added gussets at both sides, and welded around the back of the top engine mount (it was only "just" held on there):
spargussets-s.JPG

Then welded gussets either side of the shock mount to spread the load:
topgussets.jpg

Finished it off with a coat of grey kill-rust paint
Paint-s.JPG

Painted-s.JPG

... even though it's al a bit rough it should hold together for a bit longer.... if I end up sticking to this style of frame I'll do a good job ont he spare frame and use that one....

:)
All comments welcome...

Latest posts

Back