??? Fuel Leak ???

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helmotbros

Reaction score
recently i have come to find my bike leaking fuel out of the fuel tap selector. i have no idea why its doing it or what i should do? im thinking of putting a bead of silicone around it to stop the leak but i dont know if thats just covering up the problem.
Someone please help me!!!
Sorry cant upload photos coz file size is to big

easyest bet is to replace the tap but also check the fitting in the tank, ive seen them spring a leak there

Need a o-ring or something not silicon ...but first take the tank off and remove the fuel tap and you'll most likely find your problem.

Sometimes just removing and cleaning the area up will fix the problem. dont do the bush mechanic option until you have a look see.

AGREED take it off first look and see whats the problem

Don't use silicone if u can fix the problem use some plumbers thread tape and wind it opposite to the way the tap screws back in should work but the fuel may deteriorate the tape after a while ,I'm unsure if the fuel will eat that tape as i have never used it on a fuel problem ,but hey it's cheap and if it don't work u can just take it off.

also check the rivits that hold the front plate of the tap. ive had them pull through and the tap fall appart in my hand, luckly i was at home at the time:D

Before i take the fuel tap off do i have to drain the fuel tank?

Well, seeing as how the fuel is leaking while the tap is still on, do you see it not leaking when you take the tap off lol?

Good point, but how do i drain the tank?
Sorry for the noobish questions

Before i take the fuel tap off do i have to drain the fuel tank?

hehheee

um proly not as it has been leaking so u proly dont have any fuel left

but if you do id say yup drain it lol
as those holes in the side where the tap should be go both ways
they let fuel out as well as in hehehe

If its a tank with a big nut that you tighten up to secure the tap in position then just buy a new tank its not worth the stuff around I had the same drama when I kept twisting the tap a little every time I turned it on and now it leaks because it has made to fixed nut in the tank that the tap screws into come loose and just spin when you try to tighten it. So I got a new tank and tap from dhz direct of Ken and his tanks have a tap that has a rectangle mount with two screws at either end so you cant move the tap around when turning your fuel on, these are rock solid and only cost $30.:D

mine leaked because i didn't receive and o ring with mine so i just put the tap on and kept tightening trying to stop the leak kept tightening till i snapped the tap off lol, i would probably if i was you replace the tank with one of the bolt in ones with reserve they are way better.

Thnx all your ideas are great but i cant get the fuel tap off the tank. The screws are so unbelievably tight they even snapped one if my screwdrivers:eek: So now what can i do???

get a pair of vice grips onto the head of the screw and give it a squirt of WD40 or lanox/inox

i would hope if they are hex head that a spanner was tryed

Na they are phillips head screws so the 8mm spanner wont work. Anyway i took off the tank and saw that the problem was that the rubber ring was broken and the washers were bent so i just bought a new tap and tank but thanks for all your help guys.

Latest posts

Back