fuel leak

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AuZZiE

Reaction score
what seems to be the air pipe is leaking out fuel...
its a little 50cc. there is a little orange tube under a bulb like object which suddenly started leaking fuel... i have opened up the bulb and checked the floating thing can still move around... it can. but still it leaks

( sorry guys, i have learnt about this bike from pulling it apart. so i dont know names of things )

any help would be good :lol:

AuZZie

o.k so i placed a new 'fuel flilter' on to it....

well not new but from another bike which i know works fine...

still leaks out of the plastic pipe.

i dont now if it actually is the fuel filter though because there aint no filter...

its the cup at the bottem of the bike which holds fuel, inside is a plastic thing which i think is ment to float up when fuel enters to shut the fuel line when its full..

when i close the fuel tap. no leak. so the problem is somewhere between the fuel tap and the fuel cup at the bottem..

any ideas?

I got a good idea, take a photo of what you are talking about :p Because it doesn't make much sense what you are saying.

Do you mean the bowl from the carby ? because that is what has the float in it to regulate how much fuel sits in there. If it is leaking from the bowl, maybe the seal is screwed or you aren't doing the screws up tight enough.

i think it coluld be your fuel lines , they must have kinked and expanded in size to make petrol leak, try getting new tight fit fuel lines :)

your not making 2 much sence lol :lol:

mjc85 said:
I got a good idea, take a photo of what you are talking about :p Because it doesn't make much sense what you are saying.

Do you mean the bowl from the carby ? because that is what has the float in it to regulate how much fuel sits in there. If it is leaking from the bowl, maybe the seal is screwed or you aren't doing the screws up tight enough.

yea its the bowl from the bottem of the carby... but i aint the actually bowl. its the little plasic tube that sits under the bowl which the fuel is comming out of...

i have opend up the bowl and checked that everything is still good.... it is.

( sorry like i said i have only learnt what i have from pulling it apart so i dont know names and i aint got a camera )

Ok i get you now, that is the overflow. Obviously your needle is jammed with crap and staying open the whole time meaning that fuel is constantly running into your bowl because the needle/float is not working therefore not shutting off when the bowl is full.

You need to take the 4 screws off the bottom to remove the bowl and then remove the little rod holding the float in place and pull the float with needle out and spray some carby cleaner in the needle hole where the fuel enters the bowl. Also check the needle for wear, if it isn't a cone shape and is worn out you need a new needle. Also shake the float and listen for fuel inside it. If your float has a hole in it, its screwed and will not work so you might need to replace the float.

Hope this helps.

What he said:

Ok i get you now, that is the overflow. Obviously your needle is jammed with crap and staying open the whole time meaning that fuel is constantly running into your bowl because the needle/float is not working therefore not shutting off when the bowl is full.

You need to take the 4 screws off the bottom to remove the bowl and then remove the little rod holding the float in place and pull the float with needle out and spray some carby cleaner in the needle hole where the fuel enters the bowl. Also check the needle for wear, if it isn't a cone shape and is worn out you need a new needle. Also shake the float and listen for fuel inside it. If your float has a hole in it, its screwed and will not work so you might need to replace the float.

Hope this helps.

o.k so i have opened up the bowl... removed the float, checked for fuel in the float... none!...

i unscrewed the needle, no blockage there...

so i tryed letting fuel through with the needle on, fuel was comming out. but not though the needle... i'm not sure where it was getting though but it wasn't comming through the needle... is this normal?

then i pushed up the 'fork' to see if it would stop the flow of fuel...

it only slowed it down...

its got me stuffed how the needle is clean yet fuel doesn't flow through it.

you need to close the fuel drain screw on the bottom of the carby. should fix the problem.

Latest posts

Back