gears

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Reaction score
We bought a chinese 125 for our 10 yr old. It has been through about 1.5 tanks and is going great with the exception of the gears. It is a nightmare to find neutral when stopped (motor going or not). Unfortunately the bike does find neutral itself between second and third gear on occasion. Any suggestions as to the problem and how to fix.
Thanks

i've got the same gearbox setup and i had the exact same problem. when your riding you need to keep the revs reasonably high coz in low revs the bike thinks your standing still and so it shifts automatically into neutral if your in gear 2, it should't do that in gear 3 though :?

the gearbox setup is 1-N-2-3-4 so when trying to find neutral whilst standing still you need to keep pushing the lever down until you reach the lowest gear, then shift it up one gear. if this doesn't work, shift down to the lowest gear, then shift up only half a click. other than that i don't think there is any other solution, you'll get used to this over time. good luck :wink:

vinny, if this is your first motor bike with gears it would be a nightmare working out the gears my girl friend was the same make sure the bike is in 1st gear than slightly click up untill ur in neutral u will feel the gear lever hit neutral just before it clicks into 2nd gear practice changing the gears with the engine off u will need to rock the bike back and forward while trying to change the gears untill u get the hang of it if u know how to change gears and u have rode before and this problem is still going on try changing the oil use a high quality oil

I changed the oil this arvo and it seems to have made a bit of a difference, but its still a bit tricky.
I have had bikes for years and currently have an XR400 and DT200 plus other ones for the kids. This is the only one that is giving me grief. I am hoping it is because it needs wearing in a bit. I have removed the tensioner and hope to give it a run to see if that helps.
BTW thanks for the replies.

they just gotta get worn in, after 2weeks of riding u will find it no problem. just change oil every month or something aswell.

vinny, the gears on the pit bike will feel alot different to you XR and DT both of these bikes are road trail the gear change is very soft the pit bike gear box is more like a MX bike a little stiff it could be imperfections on the gears as others said it could wear its self in or out lol

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try running it as much as possible, hopefully it will sort itself out.

Its me again. The bike is now going along in gear then appearing to jump out all of a sudden. I am thinking it may be clutch related and it is slipping. Any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back