Head Gasket, Reuse/Replace? Q's??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DvDRip

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
Hey I'm thinking about removing the head of my YX 140cc to inspect the valves.
So I'm gonna need a gasket for when I put it back on, all I can find on ebay is a complete gasket kit for like $40 which has gaskets for the whole engine which will be wasted as I only need the one. So does anyone know where I can order just the head gasket? I know I can probably get one from the local pit bike shop but they always over charge me (double normal retail price mostly:mad:)
or is it safe to reuse the current gasket if I get it off clean and undamaged and just use some liquid gasket with it?
cheers:)

if it was me i would get the $40 kit and have spears for when you need them but thats just me.

can't you take a quote to your local bike shop and see if they match it?? or are they tight arse's

that's what I thought at first, it's always good to have spares around, but if I do that the spares are useless because if I ever need to use them I'll also need a head gasket (which will be the only one missing from the kit) so I'd be in the same position I'm in now, get me?

and yes I probably could get the local shop to give me a fair price but that's not the point, they charge people who bought a bike from them retail price and charge everyone else double. I wanna try to stop shopping there out of convenience and get stuff online instead, I buy allot of stuff for my bike so they'll be losing a good customer

what engines do MSO have??? they might have a head gasket or eBay might have some.

i get you, eastcoast50's might be able to get you one, i dunno just some thoughts, hope you get it sorted out.

DHZ don't have any and MSO I think use lifan engines but I emailed them just incase.
akunar are in japan or something right?

akunar are thai,,,,, look the on the webpage,,, i think there like $5 us for them and if they dont they can make you up them

Yea I saw the PITBIKE LARGE HONDA STUD TYPE in a bunch of different sizes on their site but not sure if this is what I'm after, they also have YX 150/160 gaskets. I'll email them and see if they have what I'm after

well i was hoping it was possible to do it this way but wouldn't the seal be inferior to fresh gasket?

meh...depends how old the engine is...sometimes they get baked on... that case...you need a new one:(

i actually now use a copper sheet for my gasket cause i reused the original one about seven times....

making it is a bitch, but you just heat it up redhot to soften(anneal) it every time you rebuild the engine... and it never sticks:)

well looks like I might not have to take the head off anymore, I found the eclip in my carby was loose which might be the cause of my problems
I'm still gonna try to get one anyway just so I have one spare but it' not so urgent anymore
thanks for the help everyone

Akunar got back to me, they'll send 2 aluminum gaskets for $12.10 USD including shipping.
That'd be a great price if it wasn't for the shipping cost :( but still a bit better than buying a whole kit
just thought i'd post this for anyone else in need of a gasket

Back