learnt the importance of locktite the hard way - cylinder head cover

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibbocool

Reaction score
Well I was riding along this morning and I look down and notice oil all over my left boot so I stop and see that (what I think is) my cylinder head cover has fallen off! One of the bolts that I didn't bother to locktite..

I got a mate to retrace my path but he couldnt find the cover or bolt...
I hope that I hadn't been riding too long without the cover on :(
Now to try and find a new cover for a lifan 140 (suggestions?)

My pitpro 140xr did the same thing, I got a second hand cover and bolt from motorbike city for $15

lol kk make sure u get a gasket too cuz it wont start if not sealed up right

whats your reason for that ?
the bike will still start unless the cover locks solid onto the cam sproket from no gasket ?

yes with out a gasket oil will leak from the cover when running, or if you try to tighten it so you wont need one theres a fair chance you will crack the thread hmm lern from others mistakes mate;) lol

whats your reason for that ?
the bike will still start unless the cover locks solid onto the cam sproket from no gasket ?

cuz when my broke, i couldnt start it with the cover off and with it on with no gasket.. it wasnt a good enf fit to start,, when i did get a gasket it was the wrong one,, size to big (didnt even know they had diff sizes but ok) when i tryed that it had a funny noise,, cuz the pressure in the head was leaking out of this lil leak,, so u need to get a gasket to make sure there it fits good

ok, are we talking about a cylinder head cover, with four holes, to take the cylinder studs? possibly not, if it was running still, cause those cylinder studs hold the head down...and a loose head is never going to start, or run...

if it was the SPROCKET cover,(it will still run, unless theres something else wrong, but will spray a lot of oil everywhere, then root the cams, then let gunk into your engine, rooting that...)
theres two sizes....

it sounds like you have the small one, if the gasket you got was too big...a crf50 gasket will fit, the heads are the same:)

ummmm....cactus explains why theres two size sprockets here somewhere ,and that explains the two different size covers as well...http://www.miniriders.com.au/tech-talk/23105-lifan-140cc-1p55fmj-cam-sprocket.html

Last edited:
I was talking about the sprocket cover. And yes it was running without the cover on (but oil spraying everywhere). I stopped it as soon as I noticed though.. hope I didnt damage the cams.

Latest posts

Back