motard wheel setup

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty06

Reaction score
can someone please tell me the wheel setup of the picture ive linked

zzz-1.jpg

i see its 12" front/ 10" back but i want to make sure?

so what wheel setup is it?

12/10 or not?

you are correct it is a 12/10 setup
the more prefered setup is 12/12

geez i wish the bike in the photo i linked was mine

i love it!!!

ducar where did you get your bark busters from...are they specially for minibikes or what?

and are these motard tyres from maylands performace any good? Mayland Performance Spares

oh and can anyone link me the motard kit(tyres + rims) from DHZ

Last edited:
got my braky's off a guy on ebay but he doesnt sell them anymore
theyre great because they are crash resistent plastic so u can flex them to make them smaller
from memory i got them for $19
u can get ego minis but they arent cheap i suggest hunting the bay till u find a set
as for the link >>>>> NEW 12" FRONT/REAR KENDA SUPER MOTARD WHEEL COMPLETE - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 02-Apr-08 20:45:00 AEST)
or Mini Motard road wheels pit bike alloy billet hubs - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 04-Apr-08 17:16:42 AEST)

Ok thanks and what about the tyres form maylands? i want them cause they come with them rims so i can change form dirt to motard quickly

oh i see maylkands have the same wheels/rims but much more expensive

what size track are you riding on?
how good of a rider are you?
do you tend to look for the limits all the time?
how do you find crashing?

With the ease of availability of 12 x 2.15 rims these days you would be crazy to buy anything skinnier (that second link ducar posted are 1.85 wide)
The kenda wheelsets that Dhz and Maylands have are a good entry level wheel set and make it a breeze to change from dirt to motard and back again. If however you have a fair amount of riding experience and some big balls to push to the limits you will find the limits of the tyres, I guarantee you this. However good tyres are expensive and hard to find, also pointless if your suspension is rubbish or poorly setup.

Normally the kenda's will let go just before you start peg dragging or basically just as you get your knee down road style, this is however on a smaller track so on a fast track may let go before those lean angles.

If you have the money to spend, the well setup bike and the riding ability you could go for a good setup from square one. MSO have some high quality 12 x 2.15 wheels without tyres for about the same money as the dhz setup, whack some dunlop, bridgestone, sava or similar race tyres on and you can run with the fast guys without the tyres breaking away all the time.

I got a set for $220 off ebay (inc discs, sprocket, tyres), and I'm spewing that I've just read this thread, cause they are 1.85!!!

The ad didn't list the width and cause I'm a n00b to mini motard I didn't know what to look for.... :mad:

Dude, dont worry about the width all that much.
Seeing as u got them off eBay, ur biggest problem is the crap tyres they will have. Ditch the tyres and get some bridegstone bt101

bt101 ??? presuming your talking about bt601ss ?
I am now running on some dunlop tt92's and love them for out tight little track

those wheels you got Dodge will still work fine, what will happen is when you fit some real good quality rubber it will just be a little bit pinched more then on a 2.15 which will make the tyre profile rounder but will reduce the contact patch a little. Unless your running at the top of the field and just looking for that little bit extra probably not worth changing to the 2.15

if you have a thinner tyre will that reduce grip ??

short answer yes
long answer no

thinner tyre in the same make, model and compound if both tyres are on ideal rim fitment will not grip as well.

Don't make the mistake of going overly fat on the front tho, from memory mine are
Dunlop TT92 100/90-12 Front
Dunlop TT92 120/80-12 Rear
These are on 2.15 rims which according to Dunlop are narrow for the tyres but they work great. I'd say don't go wider then 110 on the front or 130 on the rear. Don't run a rear tyre on the front but if you wish some people run a front tyre on the rear ( I believe this is the setup with the Kenda ones )

Its weird, look at the data sheets for tyres and 12" should be run on something like 2.75 minimum but recommend 3.... 1.85 is WAY to small, almost half the recommended haha

Oh, and yes, 601 not 101 :)

Latest posts

Back