Oil Leak

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hustle

Reaction score
I changed my oil earlier today before i wen't out on my bike. I must say, the oil was black so its good i changed it.

Well, Under my engine, there are two nuts. One big one small. I opened the small one up thinking it was the oil, when i opened it up, a spring came out and some oil. Because there was only a bit of oil, i realised this wasn't the correct nut. What was it that i opened. The reason i want to know as it seems there is oil leaking from it. Its either leaking from that or the big nut. I can't tell at the moment.

What can i do to stop the leaking.
I must check tommorow if i forgot to put the washer on with the nut when i screwed it back up.

The bolt you released is the cam chain tensioner bolt. It is pumped up under oil pressure and the oil you saw was this being released. Both bolts should have a washer. Don't overtighten them either. They are easy to strip.

Mack said:
The bolt you released is the cam chain tensioner bolt. It is pumped up under oil pressure and the oil you saw was this being released. Both bolts should have a washer. Don't overtighten them either. They are easy to strip.
I tightene the little screw up real tight and then it went past the tight and came loose constantly.

Is it messed up now?

yup...have to get it helicoiled.

Yep, its firked. Could probably get away with some sealant or teflon tape or something. But let this be a lesson, when your doing up steel bolts into an aluminium/alloy casting be super careful not teh strip the thread.

Latest posts

Back