Prob with front brake?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc85

Reaction score
When i use the front brake and then release the lever it takes a few seconds to completely release the disc, so it keeps contact for a couple of seconds. Also my brake lever doesn't get pushed all the way back out.

Do i need to bleed the breaks or something ? Add more brake fluid ? how do i do this

id say its air in the lines... to bleed the system, take the 2 small screws on the resovoir next to the lever, block the little hole thats there, then pump the lever about 4 times, then hold the lever on, then get someone with a 8mm spanner and crack the bleed nipple on the caliper, then when the fluid stops, tighten the nipple back up and let go of the lever then do it all again about 4 times... make sure you keep topping the fluid up. do not let go of the lever while the bleed nipple is loose as it will pull air back into the system.

Ok,

I removed the two screws from the resovoir lid and removed the lid, i pumped the lever and held it in then cracked the nipple, but i wasn't blocking the little hole in the resovoir because i don't know how and the resovoir was full of fluid so i couldn't see the hole.

After this i lost all pressure in the brake line, so i press the lever now and nothing at all ? But there is still plenty of fluid in the resovoir.

Whats going on ?

Ok so i have followed instructions that i found on here.

I took the whole brake line off and let all fluid drain from caliper, when i took the end of the brake line off the resovoir up near the handle the fluid didn't drain out of the resovoir?

This is what i've done since replacing the brake line.

The resovoir is full, i have put a small clear tube on the bleed nipple and the other end is submerged in brake fluid. I replaced the resovoir cap loosely without screws, i then made sure nipple was tight. When i goto pump lever there is no pressure at all, its completely flat. After 4-5 pumps i open bleed valve and nothing comes out.

So is something broken ?

mjc85, do exactly what radiddog said, and when you pump up the pressure from the lever you should do this slowley [ not fast ] the idea of this bleeding process is to eliminate all air from the system / line.

RD RACING said:
mjc85, do exactly what radiddog said, and when you pump up the pressure from the lever you should do this slowley [ not fast ] the idea of this bleeding process is to eliminate all air from the system / line.

But there is no pressure at all when i pump the lever, is this normal ? I push the lever in and then wait maybe 10 seconds for it to return, but it doesn't return all the way. You know how there is the brake light mechanism that is activated by the front brake handle, is the lever meant to return all the way and push the button in on the rear brake light mechanism ?

This is staring to f#%k me off.

I have managed to get the lever to return properly, but it takes about 30-60 seconds to fully return after lever has been pressed.

I have followed these instruction step by step

yep its a simple but time consuming process:

1)fill a container with a small amount of brake fluid and find some pipe that will fit snugly over the bleed nipple.
2)fit pipe over bleed nipple and insert into container, the pipe should be submerged. also find the right size spanner to loosen the bleed nipple and rest it on the nipple ready
3)remove the lid off the master cylinder
4)fill master cyliner with brake fulid and replace cover loosely
5)pump the brake 5 times
6)on the 5th pump as you pull down the brake lever fully open the bleed nipple, hold the lever down fully for about 2 seconds then close the bleed nipple and let the lever rise back up slowly
7)repeat steps 5 to 7 refilling the master cylinder when needed, never let the brake fluid in the master cylinder run below the min mark.

the process can take a while, it took over an hour on my firestorm but that has a much largr master cylinder and 2 calipers, id say between 10-20 minutes for a pit bike.

But after repeating the steps 5-7 about 10+ times there is still no pressure building up in the brake, and the lever is still taking 30seconds to a minute to fully return to normal position. WTf

125fanger said:
i heard that you should not take off the brake line or open that nut under the bleed nipple because it stuffs something up, i just heard not to do it...

Well i did this, do you know what it stuffs up ?

I'm pretty sure it doesn't damage anything, it just drains all the fluid out of the brake lines and they fill with air making it take for ever to bleed.

hey Mjc85 i have the same F***ing problem lol i need to bleed my brakes but i have mu uncle who used to own a zzr250 and rgv 250 so he know a bit bout bike ill update u when i do it

if you say took the brake line off of the caliper and pulled the brake lever in.. does fluid pump out and the resovoir fluid level drop? i cant really think what the problem is... if it pumps out fluid with a bit of pressure then it would have to be a problem down in the caliper.. but if it wont pump and fluid outa the line and the lever returns slowly it might be a problem with the master cylinder at the brake lever

and the thing about holding your finger over a hole... when i took the resovoir cap off and topped the fluid up.. there was a little pin hole on i think it was the left side of the resovior that when i pulled the brake lever fluid shot out the hole.. i had to hold my finger on that hole.

Latest posts

Back