Seat repad-recover

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLICK

Reaction score
As the forums seem so dead ATM thought I'd do a rough writeup about repadding and recovering a seat on the cheap...

The standard seat on my AGB-27 was way too hard and narrow, a 5min ride left my arse sore for a week... so I just duct taped a couple of layers of 12mm foam rubber over as a temporary fix...

old.jpg

Thought it was time to do the job properly so I went and got a 500x700mm bit of black vinyl from an auto trim shop for $5...

Using Kwik-Grip Contact Adhesive I glued a 120x500mm rectangular strip of foam rubber along the top of the seat, then glued on another layer to cover the whole seat.. I used duct tape and masking tape to hold it on there firmly until the glue dried.. When the glue was dry I removed the tape and trimmed the edges... I glued the foam over the origional seat cover so I could remove it if I stuffed it up...

foamed-s.JPG

foamedside-s.JPG

Then I layed the vinyl over and popped in a couple of staples just to hold it roughly in place.. and also used a couple of plastic spring clamps..

stretch-s.JPG

(will have to do this over a couple of posts as you can only put 4 pics in 1 post)

Due to the curve of the seat there was some rather nasty folds and creases in the vinyl so I sat it in front of a heater for a while to let the vinyl soften a bit...

stretching-s.JPG

Then with the seat upside down in my lap I started stapling the vinyl on stretching it around the seat as I went... The ends were a little tricky due to the curves but it all came out ok.. I went a bit overboard on the number of staples...

under-s.JPG

Here's the finished seat next to an origional:

top-s.JPG

side-s.JPG

Tools used:

stanley knife
scissors
stapler
spring clamps

Materials:
500mm X 700mm black vinyl ($5)
Kwik-Grip Contact adhesive (about $1 out of a $7 250ml tin)
10mm long staples
500mm X 500mm 12mm thick foam rubber (already had this, no doubt it could be purchased from a foam supplier)
duct tape
masking take

awsome, seats on these are crap. What does it look like on the bike now? big improvement in comfort??

I've done a few hundred K's since April with the 2 layers of foam rubber taped on, it's been great compared to standard seat... I often do 40km rides which would be impossible on the standard seat...

You can buy Hi-Seat kits with a molded lump of foam and a propper fitted cover... but they look a bit high and level... I don't fancy tearing my nuts off on the petrol cap if/when I endo and slide forward.... I wanted to keep some good padding at the front of the seat..

I'll take some pics when I put it on the bike...

Nice bloated seat! Recovered mine 3 rides ago, still beter than new! Only grip is an issue with the vinyl, need gripper material!

I have 2 seats, the stiching accross the front of my origional seat came apart so the seller offered to send me a new one...

I left the origional vinyl on the seat and glued the foam rubber to it so I could remove it all if I stuffed it up...

It was all a lot easier to do than I thought it'd be..

Goodluck :)

yeah i was thinking the same thing looks like a tap fitting of some sort what is it?

It's a baffle/restrictor made from brass fittings to quieten the bike down a bit... I'll eventually turn one out of alloy...

I made it from dimensions "RD_RACING" from the Pocket Bike forum mentioned:
"inner side starting at 30mm and tapper down 35 degrees to meet the 20mm outer
noise level drop by atleast 50%. the total length of this cone should be atleast 70mm long."

Here's a pic I made of what I was going to turn out of alloy to suit my AGB-27:
_Restrictor%20Cone1h.jpg

The temporary brass one I'm using does a great job, with next to no loss in power...

Restrictor-brass.jpg

I've got a couple of posties, they're a good workhorse... they have baffles all down the length of the muffler, the restrictor in the end, as well as a restrictor on the air inlet to the aircleaner, .... it'd be nice to get the pitbike silent like that but the loss of power would be huge....

Latest posts

Back