Speedo for $35

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLICK

Reaction score
http://www.cateye.com/en/product_detail/257

Found Cateye Velo-5 pushbike Speedo's for $25 +$10 delivery a while back so grabbed one to keep an eye on how many K's the bike was doing....

speedo-s.JPG

I got mine from http://woolyswheels.com.au for $35 delivered, a lot cheaper than local shops and eBay...

They do Current speed, Maximum speed, Total Distance, Trip distance, and Clock....

Easy to setup, just needed to enter the front wheel circumfrence...

On pushbikes the pickup sensor is normally mounted on the fork leg within 5mm of a magent on the spokes... this wasn't practical on the pitbike due to the distance between the forkleg and spokes, and the potential for damage...

I mounted the the pick-up on the back of the forkleg under the brake caliper where it shouldn't get damaged.. and cable-tied the sensor wire to the brake hose upto the handlebars... I had to lengthen the wire by soldering in a length of speaker wire. (you could get away with just twisting and taping the wired if you don't have a soldering iron)

I glued the spoke magnet onto one of the disk screws, I was going to use Sikaflex but wasn't going to open a new tube just for this tiny amount so just used Liquid-Nails (dodgy but does the job)

SpeedoPickup-s.JPG

I could've mounted it on the handlebars up next to the brake cylinder but was worried about it getting ripped off by branches, so I cut a bit of SS tube which I screwed onto the top numberplate mount, where it shouldn't get damaged...

SpeedoMount-s.JPG

It does a good job and is pretty accurate, I double checked it against the speedo on a mates XL185... over a 30km ride the difference between our trip meters was only about 100meters....

Good job. I have the same thing and mounted the sensor on the plastic front shock guard. I prefer your idea for sensor mounting and running the wire through the brake line as the wire doesnt risk gettng pulled (despite putting some slack in it, mine still does).

However, living in China makes "some" things cheaper. I got mine for the equivalent of Aus$12.50.

Latest posts

Back