SSR 110 top speed? It seems slow

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxtrax

Reaction score
So I have an ssr 110 (4 speed manual) that I put 12" slick tires on (stock was 10") and upped the front sprocket from 14t to 17t. Recently I took my GPS out and it only would do 34mph after the mods. The rear sprocket is 37t which is 2t smaller than stock if I am not mistaken.

Are the transmissions in these geared really low? I ran a sprocket calculator and if I dropped the rear sprocket to 29t and upped the front to 18 I'd still only be able to go 44-45mph?! This seems really slow considering I've read people are getting 60mph by just changing sprockets (and I've changed tires too!).

Many things can effect your top speed. But what ignition are you running? A stock one may only rev to 9,000rpm where a Daytona or Posh system will let the engine rev past 12,000rpm without breaking up.
Engine capacity makes a big difference also, 110 wont have much in the way of torque of power.
But gearing is the biggest factor, 34mph seems about right, as the posty wouldn't do much more with the same engine and gearing but with bigger wheels. If your gearing is to tall, the engine may not have enough power to rev right out, too small and you will hit top speed with power to spare.
To put things in perspective, we have run a 160ho with 18/30 gearing and it wouldn't rev out in top gear, but with 18/34 we hit 90.5mph or 145kmh, but that is with everypart of your body tucked in behine the bars, and if you stick your head up it instantly wipes 10kmh off your speed.

If you let me know exaclty what engine you have I can put it in my calculator and work out what gearing you will need for your goal speed.

Right now I have an SSR 110 (1 down 3 up.. not sure if there are different ones or not). I was thinking about maybe upgrading it to a better engine but have not really decided which one to go with. The one that was in my sights was the Lifan 140 (4up) with 26mm carb. Ideally I would like to hit 60-70mph but I'm not sure if thats going to happen. Also, I would maybe like to get this thing road legal someday so I want something with auxiliary output.

I already took the time to convert my frame to the 12" supermoto wheels but should I be looking for a better frame than the SSR if I'm going to be putting this on the road?

Does the inner rotor design really make that much difference vs inner? It seems like if it added throttle response then it wouldn't provide as much torque.

The inner rotor will give you better response at low speeds and allow the engine to rev just that little bit more, but liek everything, it comes at a price and that is all at higher sppeds where the torque is critical to continue to push you along throught he air. Once over about 110kmh or 65mph, this is when you need the torque to keep pulling as the wind resistance really starts to take effect.

If your planning to put it onthe road with lights and all the neccessary gear, the inner rotor doesn't have a charging coil so you wont be able to run a battery or lights, unless you go for the top Kitco or Takegawa irk's but even then I think they are pretty limited with thier power output, but also the price of one is m ore than what most bikes are worth. So look for the Daytona or Lifan outer rotor kit as this comes with a charging coil which will allow you to run lights, blinkers, and what ever else you want to consume power on your bike.

A lifan 140 will get you up to 70mph easily with the right gearing but not much past that.
Engine and Gearing Calculator

Front Rear RPM Engine Wheel
17 37 10,500 Lifan 140 12" Motard

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th
38.15 71.16 98.05 132.43 #DIV/0! #DIV/0! km/h
23.7 44.2 60.9 82.3 #DIV/0! #DIV/0! mi/h

Awesome. I may try selling my SSR engine and upgrading to the 4up lifan. It seems if I want more top speed that will be my best bet. I also looked up the specs and the lifan 140 puts out 12hp where my 110 is only rated at 7.3hp. That is a big difference!

I ordered a 26mm carb today to see if that helps with the torque. I may try going a couple teeth smaller in the rear (29t) if I can get more power out of the bike.

Latest posts

Back