Yoshimura vs Pro Circuit vs FMF

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MitchAustralia

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Planning on getting a new pipe soon for my 2009 CRF150R, and fairly certain I want an entire system, not just a slip on.
Main reason for that is the performance increase ive heard is "very different between full system and slip on".
I am considering three popular brands of pipes, those being Yoshimura, Pro Circuit and FMF.
It is to my understanding that Pro Circuit are the most expensive out of those brands so im leaning towards Yosh which seems to be surprisingly cheap!
I've heard the welds on the FMF with the "megabomb" are prone to splitting.
and whats all the fuss with these mini expansion chambers anyway, is it necessary to have them these days, cause the Yosh doesnt (is that why its cheaper?)
Anywho, im looking for a pipe which does increase the performance (I realise it doesnt change performance dramatically), and im also getting it for the "bling" factor as the stock 150R muffler is fugly.
im open to recommendations of other brands, but im not willing to exceed $1000
$800 is pushing it anyway, but ill find a way, eBay might work the trick.
heres some links to each pipe:

Yoshimura: http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/s-1471-prod.aspx

Pro Circuit: Honda TI-4R Race System - Ti-4R Race System - procircuit.com

FMF: Products - Bike Finder - FMF Racing

Thanks, Mitch.

Last edited:
Well if the yosh is cheaper go that way as it wont matter what you get on a 150 all HP increase will be very similar "if any" between the 3 brands, plus i think the yosh looks dope:D.

Who told you FMF welds crack, thats just crap, ive been running a FMF system for 2 years now never had a problem, same with alot of mate's, Weld's will crack, pipes will bend in the event of a crash.

But with 800 bucks to spend id be getting head work and suspension worked before a pipe.

Ok, thanks for that.
The three different types of yosh, carbon, titanium and aluminum; is that just weight difference?
Aluminum is cheapest so I'd go with that unless there is a significant performance compromise.
About the FMF problems, I jut read about it on multiple forums.

What do you mean by head work, I realize that's engine head work but what would you suggest getting done? and I have been considering suspension but I would prefer an exhaust system instead, as I have adjusted the susp and it's much better now.

Ok, thanks for that.
The three different types of yosh, carbon, titanium and aluminum; is that just weight difference?
Aluminum is cheapest so I'd go with that unless there is a significant performance compromise.
About the FMF problems, I jut read about it on multiple forums.

What do you mean by head work, I realize that's engine head work but what would you suggest getting done? and I have been considering suspension but I would prefer an exhaust system instead, as I have adjusted the susp and it's much better now.

well imagine someone who has been tunning suspension for years tuned?? it will be heaps better and trust me you dont really think properly tuned suspension would make a huge difference but it does, it helps with overall control of the bike and grip through the rear wheel

as for head work roost is talking about getting the head ported, this is where the intake and outlet valves are cleaned up and more often than not cut open bigger, i personally wouldnt try doing that yourself, also you can go a different cam, and depending on what size valves are in and if it would let you, you can go bigger valves

so yer i reckon go with what roost said suspension, headwork and later down the track get a pipe system, also you could look at a HC piston for it

Yeah pipe is gunna do sweat FA without head work, pipe by itself will improve flow somewhat but head work is the key there(head work and pipe = WIN), and yeah suspension is by far the best mod i have ever done on any bike, improves traction and handling dramatically, But if you jsut wanna go buy a pipe, then just get the one YOU like the look of best and what money allows.

the only pipe i know of that guarantees to make a HP increase with just bolt on installation is the akropovic system. But they are big dollars and i myself have never used one so i cannot back that statement its only what Ive heard.

this will give you bolt on HP. i used and Athena kit to make my CRF450 a 500cc and they bolt straight on. they give a massive massive power increase with a stage 2 or 3 cam and a port job. the valves that are already in the CRF's are better than the after market ones IMO.

HONDA CRF150R ATHENA 164CC BIG BORE CYLINDER KIT CRF150 (eBay item 360332158341 end time 30-Mar-11 09:24:28 AEDST) : eBay Motors

Ive only seen stage 1 and 2 cams for the crf's, whats the stage 3?

ah ok i see i thought that was what the stage 2 cam was and stage 1 was the low end hit, just never heard of the stage 3 before thats all.

sorry for the thread jack mitch lol

Ok, but I really only have the budget for one of either head work or pipe, and I know dad wont let me mod the engine, let alone do head work.
Im thinking I will just get a pro circuit Ti-4 slip on, and they have a 20% off sale at the moment.
I guess I am mainly getting it for the noise and looks anyway, im very pleased with the current performance and power of the bike so no problems there.
When they say, "pro circuit slip on silencer", it doesnt actually silence the exhaust does it, im pretty sure it loudens it if anything. cause I definately dont want my exhaust quieter!
thanks for all your help yet again

Latest posts

Back