YX150 clunking noise

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cloud_2901

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering what the most likely culprit in a YX150 engine would be for making a ticking noise, would it be likely to be the cam chain slapping or the big end bearing on the conrod?

A mate with a big screwdriver used as a bush-mechanics stethoscope decided it sounded like it was coming from the bottom end, just wanting to know whether anyone has any experience with these 150s ****ting themselves.

It's a steady clock-clock-clock-clock sound that does not increase in frequency as revs increase, and is scary as I don't know if somethings about to let go.

it will be your bash plate if you have one, the bolts will be rubbing.
It's probably a bit more complicated than that..

I know it seems obvious but have you checked the valve clearance? I've had a similar sound that I thought was coming from the bottom end but after setting the valves it went away

My yx160 is making the same noise and funny thing is a mate that used to ride for husqvarner did the same screw driver trick and said the same thing bottom end, dont worry about valves because id did mine heaps, cleaned carb, pulled the clutch side caseing off and to no avail found nothing in the end he took it for a ride (thrashed the hell out of it) and said that he reckons its the starter gear, and wouldnt really worry about it unless you can do it yourself or someone willing to work on it for cheap just ride it. you can always just bump start when it ****s itself completely. Mines been making the noise for awhile now and still goes hard as hell. up to you mate. If you find out whats wrong let us know what it was in the end anyway.

It is hilarious actually, I pulled off the clutch thinking it was that, sounded like it was coming from there, all was tight, no play, then someone put their foot on the bashplate while it was running, and yeah... bashplate.. ROFL

Hilarious how everyone thinks its the absolute worst thing possible; bottom end, then its just a frigging bashplate..

Latest posts

Back