1/4 turn throttle

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scottys140

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've looked and searched but can't find a tutorial or any info on how to swap my stock throttle over to the alloy 1/4 turn i bought for my bike. I understand that i need to easy the power on etc once it's on so it doesn't bog down but i just find it uncomfortable how far WOT is on the standard throttle. I gather that i just run the cable around the disk on the inside of the throttle mechanism and then put the cable in it's holster but then what? Won't my bike be at strange rpm? Do i just adjust the idle screw?
Can anyone who knows how or has installed one before how to do it please?
Cheers guys,
Scotty

take ur carby of and the throttle follow the throttle cable to the carby of then undo the top cap that holds the throttle cable there should be a spring and a sleeve attached to the carby
push the cap down so that the cable pops out its groove
get ur 1/4 turn throttle and put the cable in the same way as you pulled your old one out
and put cap back on
if your confused or need photos just ask

rosie

on my pitpro I needed a different throttle cable, that's all, the bike idles the same runs the same, they're right its alot easier to bog down the bike from idle if you crack it open but I don't consider that a problem

oh and if you jump it you MUST loctight the barrel thingy (the part you twist with your hand to go)

well u know how when you twist it on you're twisting it towards you as If you where opening the throttle? It easily twists forwards when you land a jump and you end up holding the bloody thing in your hand.
oh yea don't just locktight the barrel, locktight all the little screws and stuff

cheers for that guys and thanks for the quick replies. If you wanted to post up the pics please rosie that would be great as well just to make it easier.
Thanks everyone, helpful as always.
Scotty

The part that the grip goes on is called the throttle tube and the parts that clamp to the bar are called the throttle housing ... So DVDRip is saying the screws vibrate loose and allow the complete throttle assembly to rotate forward or come off ... You can wrap some electrical or other tape around the bar where the housing clamps to ... They also do that for the brake and clutch lever perches then only lightly tighten the clamping screws so that the clutch/brake rotate on the bar rather than the levers snap off in a stack ... It's a good idea to blue Loctite every screw which has to be able to be easily undone ... Yeah you have to get used to controlling your throttle hand a bit better with a quick turn throttle ... turn it slow at first just off idle ... then you can twist it as fast as the engine can handle ... and that depends on which gear it's in and how quickly that gear will allow the revs to increase ... You'll develop your own technique without having to think about it after a while ... You can also buy cammed throttle tubes which control the cable pull rate at varying degrees ... but they are expensive ...

Mack hit the nail on the head when he said you have to adjust the cable to give the minimal freeplay possible ... without affecting the idle or the bike throttling itself as the steering is turned (which would mean your cable is too short or getting hung up on something anyway) ...

no it's hard to explain, the throttle tube on these throttles really is just a tube with a thread on the end where it screws into the throttle housing.

I tried to take mine off to show you guys but it's loctighted on there way too good
img0255w.jpg

the throttle housing stays where its meant to be, the tube is screwed on the housing by screwing it towards you so if you land a jump and put forward pressure on it the tube unscrews, sometimes to the point where you're left holding the tube in you hand.

ok, i think i understand...the throttle tube is threaded then screws into the "cam" that the cable is pulled by, contained INSIDE the housing?

cause the way i see it, if you loctite the tube to the housing, it wont turn and that would defeat the purpose, wouldnt it?

:eek: ive never bothered with one of these... i got flexible wrists:p

ok, i think i understand...the throttle tube is threaded then screws into the "cam" that the cable is pulled by, contained INSIDE the housing?

cause the way i see it, if you loctite the tube to the housing, it wont turn and that would defeat the purpose, wouldnt it?

:eek: ive never bothered with one of these... i got flexible wrists:p

that's right

I'll have to take another really good look at both of mine ... they looked like one piece ... I had to modify the housings to fit Pro Taper bars since they were made to fit smaller diameter chinese bars ... Maybe in later models they skimped and started making them in two pieces ... The Posh quick turns have two piece tubes with the tube crimped over at the ends to hold them in ... and I can see what you're describing happening with those ...

Latest posts

Back