12mm axle to 15mm axle??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.luisetto

Reaction score
hey guys just was curious if you can port a 12mm hole to 15mm..?

ge where the axle goes thru the swinger and thru thr fork legs?

and how? just a steady hand and a drill bit or is there more to it??

cheers!

i think youd have to get new wheels as well coz you cant get 15mm bearings for 12mm wheel hole

hmm wouldnt see the harm in doing it
this is drilling out the swinga ay?

if there still looks to be a fair bit left of the swingarm then you could probably drill it but i probably wouldnt be touching forks.

i think about a new pair of forks and swinger and new 15mm wheelset with axles would be the strongest way to do it cuz ya wouldnt have much left on your forks after taking 3mm out of the hole

^^^thats true........i dont think it would cost to much to get it done as it wouldn't take long

Dont drill out the forks coz this will just make it weak and unsafe. I think you could get away with drilling the swinga but im not sure its worth doing. Easiest option would be to get some high tensile 12mm axel bolts to replace the existing china axle bolts and also get some decent bearings to go with it.

You can do the swinger easily NO sweat .. just mark a straight line 1.5 mm further out from the stock axle slot top and bottom on the inside and outside of each side of it ... then carefully hand flat file it to the lines ... I've done quite a few for people ...

But the forks are risky and would need to be drilled using a drill press to get the holes square and parallel ... IF you marked them out the same inside and out either side (like the rear) , you could carefully (and tediously :p ) hand file them out with a round file to the marked lines ... BUT to avoid weakening the casting bosses ... (Depending on how they're configured) you'd have to move the holes down and back ... DO NOT touch the top or front of the original holes ... you want them to remain as thick as they are now ...

I told my relo the above advice about his forks (early DHZ gold forks) but as usual he didn't listen and took them to a machine shop where they outright flatly refused to do it for safety reasons ....

What you CAN do if you want to fit the better wheels with stronger straight pull spokes ... is buy 12 mm to 15 mm adaptor bushes ... That way you still use your 12 mm axles (or higher tensile one's) and spacers in a better wheel ... and leave your forks as strong as they are stock ...

Minimob Racing Kitaco Takegawa Trailbikes Mikuni Keihin SSR CRF50

You can do the swinger easily NO sweat .. just mark a straight line 1.5 mm further out from the stock axle slot top and bottom on the inside and outside of each side of it ... then carefully hand flat file it to the lines ... I've done quite a few for people ...

But the forks are risky and would need to be drilled using a drill press to get the holes square and parallel ... IF you marked them out the same inside and out either side (like the rear) , you could carefully (and tediously :p ) hand file them out with a round file to the marked lines ... BUT to avoid weakening the casting bosses ... (Depending on how they're configured) you'd have to move the holes down and back ... DO NOT touch the top or front of the original holes ... you want them to remain as thick as they are now ...

I told my relo the above advice about his forks (early DHZ gold forks) but as usual he didn't listen and took them to a machine shop where they outright flatly refused to do it for safety reasons ....

What you CAN do if you want to fit the better wheels with stronger straight pull spokes ... is buy 12 mm to 15 mm adaptor bushes ... That way you still use your 12 mm axles (or higher tensile one's) and spacers in a better wheel ... and leave your forks as strong as they are stock ...

Minimob Racing Kitaco Takegawa Trailbikes Mikuni Keihin SSR CRF50

This is why i love miniriders!!!

I was thinking of a simalar thing but couldn't find em:confused: !!

Thanks heaps Cactus:D !! One of the many valud members on this helpful forum!!

take swinger to a machine shop to get milled
easiest/best way to do it
will cost anywhere from 30-100 depends how long it takes them to set the swing arm up square

yeh
i thought it said 2009
way to early
hahaha
may still be helpful to someone doing similar conversion
lol

Latest posts

Back