155z into 1971 z50

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngusZED50

Reaction score
Hi all i have a 1971 Z50 i would like to no if any off u guys have put a 155z motor onto a z50 like mine? And if so was there any problems getting the motor to fit properly like cab elc and is there anything i need to know?
Any information would muchly be appreciated as im waiting for my motor to come in the post from assassin dirt bikes

Cheers Angus

Plenty of guys will say its too much work or it will be uncontrollable, dangerous, etc. I'm not going to preach to you, if murdercycles weren't dangerous, uncomfortable to ride (oh and it will be with no rear suspension) amd generally a bad idea they wouldn't be any fun at all.
Haven't put a 155 into a hardtail before but played with many hardtails over the years. Carb wise you jave a few options. Either buy a rotating manifold (one that allows you to spin the carb to where you want it (i bought mine from webike) or a manifold adjustment ring which will allow you to do similar but will add 10mm to the height of the carb. You can hang the carb directly out of the side of the head(hot rod style if that's your thing). Me I'd want to get it under the tank. The chance of getting it under the stock tank is to remove the ignition coil under the tank and point the carb so the top of the carb and cable exit in the recess in the bottom of the tank where the coil lived. It does mean you would have to run a down pipe rather than an up pipe like the stocker, but they look better with down pipes anyway.
You are going to have to move the rear brake to a foot pedal so you can use your left hand for the clutch. There's a footbrake kit on webike that has everything you need, just weld on the pivot bracket and it just works, otherwise you can use a later zed foot brake and fab up the rest, have seen guys make a bracket that is held on by the 2 engine mount bolts on the clutch side.
I doubt you will be able to mount much of a front fender due to lack of head clearance. Also going to wanna run crf50 hd fork spring to make sure the wheel doesn't hit the head on big bumps.
Ideally you can alleviate alot of problems by adding 3 or 4 inches to the back bone.
It's gunna be alot of work, nothing will just "bolt in" and will probably cost twice what you budget, but if you do it it will be a killer ride.

Latest posts

Back