160ho...splitting cases??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntNZ

Reaction score
hey spanner spinners.... I am about to attemt splitting cases for the first time to sort out a gearbox issue, just wondering if there are any tips for first timers..haha

i.e, should I lay the engine on 1 side and pull 1 half off...left or right side or just sit engine in natural position and pull apart like that??

Thanks in advance.

Obviously take your head and cylinder off..
Lay it over magneto/flywheel face down, and take part your clutch side first, you will need to crack the flywheel nut,
Heat and some hammer and flat blade persuasion may be required, once you took the clutch side case off take the flywheel and crank out, leave the shift drum in until you've zip tied the box together that way it's all kept together

Obviously take your head and cylinder off..
Lay it over magneto/flywheel face down, and take part your clutch side first, you will need to crack the flywheel nut,
Heat and some hammer and flat blade persuasion may be required, once you took the clutch side case off take the flywheel and crank out, leave the shift drum in until you've zip tied the box together that way it's all kept together

Cheers loco!, crack the flywheel nut.......take the flywheel off??? or leave it on??

Yeah pull that off and you'll have to remove the stator plate to pull the cam chain, be careful with the Phillip head countersunk bolts they are made of cheese, use a impact screwdriver, to crack it, then use a quality #3 or #4 Phillip head screwdriver, life will prove to be difficult if you strip the heads on those bolts

Last edited:
Thanks again loco!, i'll have ago at it over the wknd when time permits! :alc: haha

finally had a go at it today, took the head and cylinder off, clutch out, but having trouble getting the flywheel/stator off!!, I got the nut off that holds it on but flywheel doesn't want to budge.......is there anything else i'm missing??
I got the proper pullers but just dont wanna give it too much in case I have missed something...

002.JPG

cheers

Doing well so far, but I personally would use the correct puller, as the three jaw puller may damage the flywheel,
They're like 20 bucks on eBay posted, always handy to have one,
Just look up pit bike flywheel puller, something should come up,
They run a LH fine thread and if a I remember they're 27mm

Doing well so far, but I personally would use the correct puller, as the three jaw puller may damage the flywheel,
They're like 20 bucks on eBay posted, always handy to have one,
Just look up pit bike flywheel puller, something should come up,
They run a LH fine thread and if a I remember they're 27mm

Thanks for refreshing my memory loco!!, what a ****head I am......I have the proper flywheel puller I bought a few months back!! :hidesbehindsofa:

Do I need to pull all the gears off the clutch side or will the case's come apart as is??

001.JPG

Take it all off. The kickstart gear, the gearbox gear, the shift star, pull the gear lever shaft up through the cases, oil pump and drive gear

Latest posts

Back