1999 Suzuki RM125

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criggs

Reaction score
Hey guys, figured I'd post some pics of my 1999 Suzuki RM125, since this is the bike that really made me fall in love with dirtbikes/offroad motorsports.

My Dad bought this bike for me in September of 2002, a month or so after my 12th birthday. I was WAY too small for it (had to use a stool or the back of our trailer to get on/take off for the first year or so), but he wanted something that I'd grow into and have for a while. It was extra special because my very first bike, a 6th birthday present, was a 1980 RM50, so I had a pretty strong brand loyalty with the Suzuki RM. I could never in million years have asked for a better bike.

For the past 14 years I have made so many amazing memories with this bike, and now that I've decided to upgrade to a 250, I've decided to start restoring it to as perfect condition as possible. Anyway, on to the pics (ordered oldest to newest):

roost_zpsfd9nyevb.jpg

1_zpsxg8177rj.jpg

2_zpss8iznobm.jpg

rides_zpsupytv0zv.jpg

8.16.15_zpsc0epzhlt.jpeg

4.24.16-3_zpsqv2bd8oj.jpg

4.24.16-2_zpshusflgyu.jpg

IMAG0142_zpsinymaytp.jpg

Here's a few pics of what I've been working on recently. First the old rusty FMF Fatty:
fatty%20before_zpsine5j6og.jpg

fatty%20after%201_zpsgwwov3h4.jpg

fatty%20after%202_zpsmpefqrev.jpg

Also, I felt that all the stickers I'd accumulated over the years no longer suited my taste. In the process of removing them, I found that they had severely stained the fork guards and left them very unevenly faded. Decided it was a good idea to try and restore them:
Before (right side)
Fork%20Guard%20R%20before_zpsmhwopypd.jpg

Comparison of both after finishing the right side
Fork%20Guard%20comparison%201_zpsfnqbmvkk.jpg

Fork%20Guard%20comparison%202_zps8fw4by9k.jpg

After
Fork%20Guards%20after_zpsupfqtkbu.jpg

Have never restored plastic before, so I think it came out good considering.

Sorry for the poor quality pics, most of these are super old and almost all are cell phone pics. Hope you guys enjoy, I've got plenty more where those came from if there's interest, and I plan on keeping this thread updated with progress of the restoration.

That's unreal you still have it 14 years later
Get her all cleaned up and sit her in the trophy room

How did you restore the plastics?

Came up a treat!!

What else you got planned for it?

That's unreal you still have it 14 years later
Get her all cleaned up and sit her in the trophy room

Yeah man, that is exactly what I was thinking =].

How did you restore the plastics?

Came up a treat!!

What else you got planned for it?

Thanks man. I wet sanded them with the finest sandpaper I could get from my local hardware store (400 grit). Cleaned up really nice, but naturally left a very flat finish, so I'm going to hit them with a heat gun later this week to see if that helps restore some shine. Either way it's better than they were, and I get to keep the factory stuff instead of changing to aftermarket.

Plans as of now are just minor things. Mechanically the bike is mostly sound as it is still currently my main ride, so I won't be doing anything really big until I get my new bike. It needs the forks and shock serviced pretty bad, never done them in all these years. Also needs a chain and rear sprocket. Once I can tear her down I plan on fully cleaning everything and powder-coating the frame gloss black. Also may do a carb re-build just to renew the gaskets/seals, kinda weeps a bit after a while. Debating on whether or not to do the top end, only has around 50 hours or so on a full top and bottom re-build, all trail riding. Starts first kick every time and runs super strong still, so not sure if I wanna spend the extra money/time since it won't be getting many hours from now on. Lots more little stuff I'm sure I'll find =P.

Latest posts

Back