2 sump plugs? what are they?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitmaster

Reaction score
on a Ducar engine, theres 2 sump plugs, i used the 1 on the kick starter side to change the oil,

but whats the other one for????

i havent undone it yet,

any ideas?

Your probably talking about the cam chain tensioner.

what does th do mack??? ive got that on my bike too

Yeah, we've all got one.
Behind that bolt is a spring and a few other little bits and pieces internally that operate (with hydraulic pressure from the oil pump), a tensioner which keeps the camchain tight. The camchain runs from the big sprocket on the end of your camshaft (behind the big round cover on the side of the head) down to a little sprocket with half the no. teeth of the cam sprocket which runs off the crank.
When you want to release pressure on the cam chain for removal or fitting of the head, you can release the oil and spring pressure with this bolt.

what now?

I accidentally took mine out and it popped out with the spring!

So.. I put it back in, the right way I THINK.. but will that be ok? I haven't started the engine yet. Is it simply a case of putting it back in and tighten the plug? does it have to go in the right way?

I would have paid more attention, but I wasn't expecting a spring to pop out of it! LOL

You'll be right. The oil pressure after the next start will pump the tensioner back up and off you go.

Thanks mack. So the spring goes back in either way around? It's a PitPro125RR lifan 1p54fmi engine

as far as i am aware there is no "incorrect" way to place your cam spring. provided its placed into the correct position you will have no drama's, as mack said, the cam chain is tensioned with oil pressure so you shouldnt have any probs.

Cheers, Tony.

when you run ya bike dude just listen out for a clicking noise - a loose cam chain if not your alright.

Latest posts

Back