2002 YZ-250 Refurbish Help!!

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douf

Reaction score

Hi everyone,
Ive got a 2002 Yamaha YZ-250 sitting under the house, it was my brothers. Its been under there for about 2 years doing nothing. Its too good of a bike to be left there doing nothing so i wanna get it working again. Im keen to do it myself and buy the parts i need to get it workin again. Ive had a look at it and everything seems to be alright, its just not starting. I'd say its just seized up a bit.
Can anyone suggest a list of things i can do and take off and check or clean that will hopefully get it started again.
Any replies would be greatful.
Thanks..
Its basically the same as this bike below! 2 stroke 250 motocross bike.

Attachments

• 2002 YZ250 Yamaha.jpg
    2002 YZ250 Yamaha.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
nothings missing. everythings in tact. its just not starting. can you suggest some things that i can try. some parts on the bike may have seized up.

if it kicks over but wont start

replace the fuel with some fresh 2 stroke and probably the spark plug and she should kick over

maybe crank oil but get it started before you do that

2 bangers are easy fuel air and spark is all you need

alrighty. thanks alot mate. i shall try.

or just pay a couple of hundred $$$ and get it serviced and ask them to see if they could get it running, much easyer than doing it yourself and time saving.

2 bangers are easy fuel air and spark is all you need

Isn't that the priciple behind all motors? ;)

Sorry but that made me laugh Coolie!! :p

Go over it like Coolie said. If all else fails get someone to look at it for you. If you have a free bike then a couple of hundred to get her running sweet is a pretty cheap investment.

1. Fresh fuel, drain all the fuel out of the bike and almost tip it over to get absolutely all of it out (old oil and fuel will cause problems, if you try to start it it will foul the plug almost instantly)

2. Check for spark, unscrew the plug but leave it connected to the coil, touch a screw driver on the head and hold the spark plug next to the screw driver, get someone to kick it, look for a spark (or feel a hell of a shock)

3.Clean air filter, might have cobwebs from sitting in there for so long, it will have some dust at least.

4. Check compression. remove the plug, put your thumb over the plug hole and get someone to give it a kick it should shoot your thumb off, if it doesn`t - no compression= rebuild time.

5. Check fluid levels, i have heard some bikes have a safety mechanism that will not allow them to start without case oil or coolant (havent come across one but you might be the lucky first).

6. Get a BRAND new NGK - R plug, they are about $20 FOR 1 PLUG but when my cr 125 was playing up i tried kicking till my leg hurt with no success, went out bought a NGK-R and gave it a half hearted kick and it roared to life so now i swear by them.

7. Make sure u use a proper starting technique, check the fuel line is OPEN, always start a 2T with the choke ON, Put it into 3rd gear, roll back and forth till the wheels lock up either way, twist the throttle once or twice to prime it all up. PUT IT BACK INTO NUETRAL ! then with put your hand on the throttle and push it forward (away from you), no acceleration otherwise you will flood it and foul the plug.

If that doesnt get it started then there might be something more sinister lurking behind the problem.

and trust me - You cant kill a 2 Stroke so don`t be scared to give things a go.

ok. thanks alot mate. thats exactly wat i was after. thanks very much!

Latest posts

Back