2008 Atomik Blitz 250 review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine was gtn hot this afternoon too... but it got hot last wknd wen i still had the original pumper carby on it.
Thump*140-
I got a new fuel tap and put everything back together. Doesnt leak with the tap off anymore but still leaks fast wen tap is open and bike is off. Cant win em all!!!
Can u also check my post in the OKO tech forum about tuning the carb...wana make sure im doin it right.
Cheers

yea mate it pops a bit, hunting in the revs at idle, i just thought that was the carby needing a tune or an air leak in the intake manifold gasket, i checked the gasket an seals, all ok and was trying to tune it out in the carby but gave up in the end. i did try to re route the fuel line the other day to make it a smooth flow but its a bit hard gettin it from the tank to the fuel tap without it goin uphill a bit. unless i move the fuel tap... i hav a clear line from the fule tap to the carby and noticed if the fuel filter sits lower than the fuel tap, u can see air starting to apear in the line.

hmm, yep, i'd reckon you both are having issues with the gay fuel line setup causing starvation... running a clear fuel line is a great way of "tracking" the problem, as you can watch for air bubbles. have found with mine, as soon as you get bubbles in the line, the engine starts hunting a bit, and popping...
Dont do what i did, and what it sounds like synergy did, and try and tune it out with the carby, as it's purely fuel line related... I know this cause when i pulled my bike apart, it was running perfectly. reassembled it, with no changes other than the hydraulic clutch, and it was running shite, popping and backfiring, and overheated within a minute or two... engine sounded like a motor does when you turn the fuel line off, and let it run the carby dry... starts to run lean, backfires then the idle starts hunting and rising... re-routed the cable as best i could, and it immediately sorted the problem. am yet to try relocating the fuel tap, but i reckon using the shortest possible fuel lines, with the most direct "downhill" run to the carby is the best bet, but not terribly easy...
and Drew i'm not sure what it is your trying to tune on your oko... are you trying to adjust the idle, or setting the air fuel screw? what is it you are trying to acheive?

did the 2008 blitz come with like a 5cm hose coming off the radiator as the overflow hose?

i had to extend mine down to the back at the same place the fuel leaks out since a few times it got overheated when i was doing some tuning on the standard carby it was pissing out all over the engine and front guard?

was just curious is all.

ok iv'e been trying for ages to get some pics up of my bike, which i like to call "Blitz'n pieces"
finally worked out photobucket, hope this works.

Photo025.jpg

Photo026.jpg

Photo022.jpg

mods n bits on it:-
chopped 100mm off muffler( removed restrictor)
oko 26mm flatside carby K97 & K36 jetting
home made air intake adaptor with pod filter
pro taper bars (reed bend)
pro taper pillow top grips
sparkly red bendy levers
sparkly red fuel cap
cerrolli cdi box

comming soon...
already hav yzf forks and clamps, just waiting for axle to arive then will all be fitted
hydraulic clutch.. on order
on/monentry on switch to replace 'N' light and remove switches on the bars
differnt coil and lead (cant remember brand).. on order
and maybe sum more stuff i orderded from egay after a few beers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ah yours is the same as mine, just blue instead of red, with atomik written on the RHS of the engine, so i'm guessing its the supposed 2009 model, cant see any difference's between ours and thump* minus the engine covers.

Last edited:
yea mate check the I.D. tag on the right hand side of the frame just behind the headstem, should give u the year model. i also hav the lil hose comming out of my radiator, as i found out today wen it decides to spew out the coolant it goes all over the front of the engine.

yea mines a 2009 model, came off the freight container straight into the back of my car in September :p

But just saying i can't see any difference other then the engine covers being difference between the ours and thump*

mine did that twice, was a pain, specially if you are using coolant and it boiled on the engine and turned sticky, so i ran a hose back over the engine and out the same place as the fuel overflow, seems to work well.

other differences we hav found between thumps 08 and my 09 is - the front fork travel, muffler restrictor and possibly, im not sure on this but the O.D. size of the collor of the lock nut on the headstem, i had to grind 1mm off to fit wr99 top tripple clamps, i dont think i read any were that he had the same problem but i could be wrong.

hopfully on meet n greet day we can compare them side by side and see wat else there may be that is different.

i to plan on extending the over flow hose, i was thinking of just running it straight down and cable tying it to the frame, will look into it 2moro.

ah ok then, my muffler had the baffle in the middle of it too, gone now though :p

My forks seem to be quite fine and travel as much as they are supposed to, can't remember how much exactly, measured it when i serviced 2 weeks ago, then again is Chinese manufacturing probably one in every 200 is decent.

Will remember bout the headstem locknut, not gonna bother changing my forks till mine break since they seem to be working fine, but got the local bike wrecker looking out for a 99-06 yamaha yzf forks.

Last edited:
Drew i'm not sure what it is your trying to tune on your oko... are you trying to adjust the idle, or setting the air fuel screw? what is it you are trying to acheive?

Just dont want it leaning out and gtn hot wen im out riding it this wknd,

SYNERGY17-
My bike is exactly the same as urs. 09. same colour and all. urs is a bit cleaner but
;-)

did the 2008 blitz come with like a 5cm hose coming off the radiator as the overflow hose?

i had to extend mine down to the back at the same place the fuel leaks out since a few times it got overheated when i was doing some tuning on the standard carby it was pissing out all over the engine and front guard?

was just curious is all.
The 2008 Blitz (well, mine anyway) came with a radiator overflow line that extended down the maintube of the frame, and dumped any overflow straight onto the ground under the motor.
ah yours is the same as mine, just blue instead of red, with atomik written on the RHS of the engine, so i'm guessing its the supposed 2009 model, cant see any difference's between ours and thump* minus the engine covers.
Yeah it would appear the main differences are in the engine cases... will be interesting to see the 08 and 09 alongside each other at the ride day, see if they are just different cases, or if the 09 is a Gen 3.5 motor or something...
yea mate check the I.D. tag on the right hand side of the frame just behind the headstem, should give u the year model. i also hav the lil hose comming out of my radiator, as i found out today wen it decides to spew out the coolant it goes all over the front of the engine.

yea mines a 2009 model, came off the freight container straight into the back of my car in September :p

But just saying i can't see any difference other then the engine covers being difference between the ours and thump*

mine did that twice, was a pain, specially if you are using coolant and it boiled on the engine and turned sticky, so i ran a hose back over the engine and out the same place as the fuel overflow, seems to work well.
easy fix is to run the radiator overflow straight down the front frame maintube.
other differences we hav found between thumps 08 and my 09 is - the front fork travel, muffler restrictor and possibly, im not sure on this but the O.D. size of the collor of the lock nut on the headstem, i had to grind 1mm off to fit wr99 top tripple clamps, i dont think i read any were that he had the same problem but i could be wrong.

hopfully on meet n greet day we can compare them side by side and see wat else there may be that is different.

i to plan on extending the over flow hose, i was thinking of just running it straight down and cable tying it to the frame, will look into it 2moro.
^^yep, on the right track with the overflow.
I also had the same problem with the collar for the headstem, i just simply didnt use it when i found it was too big for the 99 YZF top triple clamp. When i'm not so lazy, i'll do the same as you, and machine it down a bit... Looking at your pics, i think your forks might actually be the same length travel as mine... wondering if one of us didnt measure right... ? meh, find out on the ride day... once the YZF forks go on, you'll have a genuine 300mm of travel anyways..
ah ok then, my muffler had the baffle in the middle of it too, gone now though :p

My forks seem to be quite fine and travel as much as they are supposed to, can't remember how much exactly, measured it when i serviced 2 weeks ago, then again is Chinese manufacturing probably one in every 200 is decent.

Will remember bout the headstem locknut, not gonna bother changing my forks till mine break since they seem to be working fine, but got the local bike wrecker looking out for a 99-06 yamaha yzf forks.
Dirbatua, be careful which model forks you look for. I bought a set of 04 YZF250 forks, and the leg diameters DO NOT match the Blitz Bottom triple clamp. Using the YZF bottom triple clamp, head stem and top triple clamp DOES NOT WORK as they use different diameter headstems, different sized headstem bearings, and cannot be fitted to the Blitz headstock without leaving the bearings exposed.. I would strongly suggest you only look for 96-01 YZF suspension. Yes, it's old, but it can be rebuilt, and it's still better than the stock forks. :D Oh, and the 98-99-00 brakes are identical to the Blitz caliper, so you can use YZF wheel bearing in the Blitz front wheel, have the massive Blitz rotor, and Blitz caliper and master cylinder.
Just dont want it leaning out and gtn hot wen im out riding it this wknd,
Ah ok, well as a baseline, the air/fuel screw should be 1 to 1 1/2turns out from all the way in, and it should have a steady idle. if it's popping, backfiring and getting a bit hot, i'd quickly look for some clear fuel line, make it as short as you can, and watch the fuel line with the engine running... shouldnt be any air bubbles... if you see bubbles, reroute the fuel lines, and perhaps put a new (ie better quality) fuel filter in... :D
SYNERGY17-
My bike is exactly the same as urs. 09. same colour and all. urs is a bit cleaner but
;-)

My bike must be the only white one with Yellow flashings in the graphics out there.. ha ha... Hmm, not like me to be different for the wrong reasons.. ha hah

easy fix is to run the radiator overflow straight down the front frame maintube.

Dirbatua, be careful which model forks you look for. I bought a set of 04 YZF250 forks, and the leg diameters DO NOT match the Blitz Bottom triple clamp. Using the YZF bottom triple clamp, head stem and top triple clamp DOES NOT WORK as they use different diameter headstems, different sized headstem bearings, and cannot be fitted to the Blitz headstock without leaving the bearings exposed.. I would strongly suggest you only look for 96-01 YZF suspension. Yes, it's old, but it can be rebuilt, and it's still better than the stock forks. :D Oh, and the 98-99-00 brakes are identical to the Blitz caliper, so you can use YZF wheel bearing in the Blitz front wheel, have the massive Blitz rotor, and Blitz caliper and master cylinder.

yea i already ran a overflow line out the back :p

Ok then i'll give him a ring tomorrow and tell him to just look for 96-01, my younger brother is also an apprentice at peter steven's so i'll be getting him to keep his eye out for any that might pop up there since people have to much money at that joint and just buy new shit rather then getting seals etc done.

SYNERGY17-
;-)

mines only clean coz i havnt taken it out yet. this weekend is it first test,hopfully all goes well and nothing breaks, no town around where im going for miles. will let ya all know how it holds up.

mines only clean coz i havnt taken it out yet. this weekend is it first test,hopfully all goes well and nothing breaks, no town around where im going for miles. will let ya all know how it holds up.

Good Luck on the mayden voyage!!
Wld b good to c if ur chain tensioners hold up seeing as though our bike r pretty much exactly the same.

Im taking mine out this wknd for its first run with the Oko26mm. Sounds good already.:D

^^^^heads up boys, if you havent already flushed and replaced your brake fluid, will definately pay to do so after the first ride... the stuff is like water, but with a much lower boiling point. it really does define the word "Shit".... :(

^^^^heads up boys, if you havent already flushed and replaced your brake fluid, will definately pay to do so after the first ride... the stuff is like water, but with a much lower boiling point. it really does define the word "Shit".... :(

Yea found that out the hard way the other week. Came into a corner a bit quick and almost overshot it from lack of braking power.

Anyone one this thread live in southeast qld?? Keen for a ride with a few ppl through donnybrook quarry or Coomera. Let me know.

Got my throttle & carby today and a new fuel tank cap, DHZ don't mess about, Didn't realize the adapter plate was covered in rubber :p, i thought yours was green thump* too and the filter is massive, thought it was little like a pod.

IMG_0908-1.jpg

^^^^mate just remember that the throttle cable DHZ sent isnt long enough, you need to use the standard one, and you will need to hit the rubber manifold adaptor with the grinder a bit, and then drill out the holes to be able to put the bolts in, from the opposite side than what was originally intended... if you have a look a few pages back, under the posts i titled "Bling that F***** up", there is a pic of the manifold adaptor, and how you have to grind it away before you can get the bolts in...
any dramas, let us know, we'll talk you through it. :D

yea i remember from a few pages ago and about taking a bit off the blitz cable sheath to make it sit in the carby better.

was supposed to go riding this weekend, but have to work now :(, least it gives me time to put this stuff on the bike

Latest posts

Back