2nd hand motor help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulhenry

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just brought 5 lifan motors second hand and was wondering if you guys can give me some pointers on what to look for in regards to what might work straight away and what ones might require some love. Old mate said that they all run and I'm sure that no one has ever lied on Gumtree before, but I don't really want to install them all one by one just to see which one, if any, actually go. Any suggestions with what to check for would be greatly appreciated. Cheers, Paul.

Some of them don't want to turn over, is that normal for a motor that isn't in a bike?

You really need to strip each motor and take a look

Check for spark to rule out electrical problems.

The one's that don't turn over is a very bad sign. Could be dead piston/rings smashing into the bore or gearbox problems.

I would think if you got 1 working motor out of all the others you would be doing well.

Haha. Thanks for the encouraging words motorman. One of the donks is a 140cc which he said,and looks, was less than an hour old. But for some reason, both sides of the motor are off. It looks clean as, and I can't see anything wrong or loose within the motor. Can anyone post up some links as to what to look for or check, plus how to put the thing back together? If so, it would be greatly appreciated. I've tried the search feature at the top of the page to no avail. Thanks in advance, Paul.

Haha sorry bud but usually when you buy 5 motors at once off gumtree the odds of them working are slim to none.

There are no real docs on full engine pull downs on here.

Chuck some pics up and I can tell you how to get the newish 140 motor back together from where it is now.

When you say sides of the motors are off do you just mean the ignition cover or is the whole gearbox split?

Latest posts

Back