3rd/4th gears playing tricks

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAMPETEY

Reaction score
ok so im moving along. in 3rd going into 4th. im in 4th.... 3 secs into it. bang its in nutrel. but then i click up again. and it back in 4th.. i noticed my clutch cable was a tad thredded. im going to have a look see on the weekend.

im curious to know if this has happend to any one else. it kinda flees like the engines clutch was pulled. but not.. ok what i "think" is happenin is my bikes due for some new oils. or the selector is gone or the sprockets are warn..

if any one has had ths problem can ya add me to msn

[email protected]

or post in here thanks.ill keep yas updated

This happens to me dude, ive been saying it for ages. Im just riding along and then for some wierd reason it just pops into neutral.. but for some reason if I ease off the throttle then keep revving it like keeps going as if its out of neutral again lol..

Try easing off when it happens then rev again and see if its still doing it.. but dont like flatstick just turn throttle slowly and see if it keeps going

Kind of sounds like its hitting false neutral too me. What type of engine, how old is the engine and how often do you change your oil.

ive never had a problem with my lifan motor which has a N,1,2,3,4 configeration! but my old loncin (1,N,2,3,4) had the exact same problem! i think its a problem with the initial ingaging process!

thats very similar to whats just started happening to me,
i would ride it, then when i stop, i take off again and i have no 1st gear, go off in second gear, then would have no third gear, and have 4th gear
Its really annoying because sometimes when i have to go up hills, i'l be close to reving out 2nd, then when i change it goes to like neutral, i change again and it goes to 4th which wont pull my bike up the hill
Right now it sounds like im stealing the thread lol, sorry if i am
Let me know what happens and i added you to msn

the engine is a ghrey lifan 138cc. genuine 138cc bore. n1234 gearing, and this motul oil. i suspect that its the oil. only happens after a good few hours or fast riding. or when the eninge is fairly warm..
well come to think of it. i change the oil every 3 tanks. and im faily sure it only happens on the 3rd tank. lol

here is a pic of my bike *jono on bike*

IMGP4148.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

thats the ghrey lifan engine. engine is 4 months old.

well now i know who added me
dirtbike 01 :)

nah some of the bikes your bike just pops out of gear for abit then with some revs off it will go back in...
i think making sure when you change gears you actiolly put it in gear properly..
i think its in your gearbox though ;)

Yeah i think that may be coz u dont put it into gear proply not to sure but i have done it a few times i think it was from 1st two 2nd and my gear box is a (1)(n)(2)(3)(4) and i think that iz coz i didnt click it up hard enough.. well im pritty sure
;)

dude i know how to ride proply. i highly doubt its me changing gears. i reckon its the clutch not ingaging .

Hey Dude did you ever fix this issue? Ive got a grey lifan 138 with the same problem? Cheers.

T?his one looks like a bit awkward problem, it might be that your clutch is not working right the way it should be, or might be your gears have warned off and are not locking properly and hence your bike might be slipping off gears and might need to check them up.

Did you look at when this thread was started buddy ... 2007 LOL

lol so old. But the problem is the shift fork sticking, bet ya

lol so old. But the problem is the shift fork sticking, bet ya

Yeah phil67 is prob spot on, for some reason also the shift drum forks start running on the gear and wears away at the fork preventing it from fully selecting that gear due to the tolerance being out, this will usually make a grinding noise when two gears start chewing on each other making it sound like a broken or damaged gear.

It really seems a bit troublesome, always have to keep on shifting gears to keep it running smoothly, either you may not be putting the gears probably and not getting it locked or there might be a genuine problem with your gears and they might be slipping and thus causing you the trouble.

Latest posts

Back