6v to 12v conversion

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loznuts

Reaction score
Hey guys

Trying to convert my j1 to a 12 volt system.

Got the harness and all the 12v elec bits to go with it but have no clue what I'm doing.

Anybody know a good bike electrician in Sydney. Or if anyone has done this themselves and would like to help (for a fee of course).

Thanks

Best place to start is get onto drATV site and grab a OEM wiring diagram for your 12v harness and a J1 6v harness as reference to what you might have already and work one plug/wire at a time and connect it all up..

Making sure you have 12v regulator, blinker relay, coil, CDI, battery and globes ... all the wiring colors are generally the same 6v or 12v systems ... the 12v system had only a couple of extra wires for the CDI and voltage reg other than that its mostly the same.

Its only a scary task if you look at it as a whole bunch of wires but you only got 2 hands so start with one wire and cross them off as you go over the diagrams making sure they are the same..

Some diagrams look like more wires but they are including the ground wire colors so be aware of that.. If i was over your side id help you out as I used a 6v harness and just converted it over to a hybrid harness to suit 12v and my extra power lines for gauges up front needing permanent power

Got the engine wired up and running.

It looks so easy now that I understand it. Guess the hard part will be connecting all the lights and switches up. But I think all the diagrams will save me.

All is coming along nicely except the carb is overflowing. Must be a float problem although it's brand new.

Anyway thanks for your help you pointed me in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back