70cc auto hard to down shift gears

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick 50

Reaction score
hey guys , im helping out a kid at my local track and he has an atomik 70cc auto ,,
the problem is that he is finding it very hard to shift up the gear lever as even i think it is very hard and not normal ,
has anyone else had a problem like this with there autos ,
is there a way to lghten it up so it will shift easier as in putting a lighter spring into it or is there some adjustment or something ,
this thing is wierd neutral is up the top and and 4th is all the way down ,

has anyone ever encountered this problem with this make of bike as they took it back and they said that it was normal as to how hard it was too use the gear shift lever ,
any ideas on how to make it shift easier ,
thanks in advance , Rick

all semi auto chinas are that gearing, every semi auto i have ridden have been stiff, i think kids just struggle a little, i read somewhere on here that someone welded a lever behind the standard like a postie bike

My 7 yr old daughter has the same bike. Same problem too - hard for her to shift. Keen to hear a solution!

Some good mods for the bike:
1) MSO alloy bars (lighter and better bend for kids).
2) Kenda millville tyres (500% more grip on dirt or grass).
3) 800 lb rear spring (for kids).
4) Drop the fork clamps 25mm on the forks (much better steering!).
5) MSO air filter - the paper stocker is crap in damp conditions.
6) Inox oil the axles.
7) Grease up the swing arm bolt and head stem bearings.
8) thread lock agent on the brake parts.
9) Plastic ice cream container lid (trimmed) to keep grit off the rear shock.
10) Plastic bag cover over the electrics under the seat (keep rear wheel muck off them).

ok i did a bit of exploritry surgery on it and pulled the case off on the clutch side just to check if everything was in place , and all was good ,
put it back together and she was still stiff ,
anyway after tightening up the shaft to the clutch it was all nice and loose ,

for anyone having trouble just adjust the clutch shaft by loosening of the nut and then with a srewdriver just nip up the shaft so it is just sitting snug and then tighten the nut ,
hope it helps anyone with the same problem ,
Cheers , Rick ,

for anyone having trouble just adjust the clutch shaft by loosening of the nut and then with a srewdriver just nip up the shaft so it is just sitting snug and then tighten the nut ,
hope it helps anyone with the same problem ,
Cheers , Rick ,

Sounds good. Pls confirm, by adjusting the clutch shaft (nip up to remove slop), the shifting action was improved? I don't doubt you, I just thought the clutch and shifting would have been independent "adjustments". But happy for any fix of course.

i think the best thing to do is make it like a postie bike. we have a semi auto chink bike and the shifter lever came with the bit on the back so that you could use it like a postie bike but we had to cut it off because it was in the way of something.

i think the best thing to do is make it like a postie bike. we have a semi auto chink bike and the shifter lever came with the bit on the back so that you could use it like a postie bike but we had to cut it off because it was in the way of something.

I'll have to stop our postie next time and check out his gear shifter!

Latest posts

Back