Adjustable or not?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geezus18

Reaction score
Is this fork adjustable. It is off an Atomik Avenger.
Its the view when you look from the top near the handlebars. When you unscrew the flathead part it funnels down and on the end of the flat head screw/bolt is a small rubber bit. Whats the screw/bolt for?
Dont pay out the pic i did it on paint lol :p, i couldnt take a pic coz my camera is Fu@$ed
cheers :)

USDFORK.jpg

All i can say is Nice drawing, try taking a picture, it may help. Its impossible to tell by viewing that pic.

ok cheers i leve em alone, if i decide to make them more stiff ill get a motobike shop to do it so if they screw up they can fix it lol!

That little valve regulates the air being drawn in after compression and in doing so gives you adjustment of the rebound speed. You have to try and get both sides performing the same otherwise you can end up with the front feeling a little strange on fast corners. As far as changing the oil goes, if you want to ride fast then you have to change the oil otherwise you will just not be as fast as you could be and more chance of having a crazy ragdoll. The correct oil change on these forks really slows up the action and firms up the front nicely. You must make sure the top triple clamp is released and the adjuster valve is out. Then use a good quality ring spanner and keep downward pressure whilst turning to release the nut. If it locks up tight just reverse a little and try again to break up the crap in the thread. The shit thats all over the thread is a type of loctite and must be cleaned off after release and you'll never have trouble again. I've done these plenty of times with ease and I've seen guys butcher them as well for skipping an above part or just not being carefull.

I actually don't run proper fork oil as it is too thin. Ive been running 170ml of 30 weight oil in these. The valving in the forks is too big and the thinner oil just doesn't dampen enough. The little valve only controls rebound not compression. Generally i have these screwed most of the way down and equal on both sides.

thats where the other figure eg 30w- 50 or 30w- 10 comes into play its supposed to be the amount the oil changes under heat conditions so I use the 30 viscosity with the lowest heat change properties. My forks are lovely to ride and jump compared to standard. Standard they are way too soft. 150ml came out of mine and others I've done and we just added 20-25ml extra without problem. Another method of increasing the dampening strength is to add homemade spacers to the fork leg to compress the spring further. Or stiffer springs may be added.

Latest posts

Back