agb-29 fork problems after "big off"

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pegleg

Reaction score
Hey guys I need a bit of help,
9 days ago my son had a big off, a collision with a 05 yz85, absolutely destroyed his front wheel. after fitting his brothers wheel to his bike to go for a ride, I noticed that the forks looked slightly compressed.
I lifted the handle bars and the forks came back to their original position, I compressed them again as far as I could and they would only come about 30-40mm back up. I have tried playing with the adjustment knobs on top, I set them both to hard/fast, but no difference.
There are no leaks from the seals or fork oil coming from anywhere so I am at a loss.
Has anyone else had a prob like this or do you think they are rooted?
Cheers in advance ppls.
--
Steve....

Nah, just the oil in the forks isnt a heavy enough compound so the forks cant take the bikes weight, change the fork oil and the problem simply goes away...

Hi Steve.
Assuming the new wheel you fitted is exactly the same width from wheel bearing faces ie not wider or narrower causing the forks to bind !.,more than likely you have bent the fork tubes.The easiest way to check which side fork is causing the problem is to remove the wheel and then remove each fork assembly.Then simply grab the fork leg at the top and compress it as much as possible.If the fork leg is bent badly the fork will not return to its full length.Try this with both fork legs individually of course and the problem side [possibly both]will be evident. If bent you have 2 options

1 Buy Std or upgrade to better quality USD forks
2. See if you can talk a machine shop to straighten .Labour cost may outstrip new fork price !!

Cheers Brian

Thanks for the reply guys, 10 mins after I posted I went and had a look at the new wheel I through on it, Brian hit the nail on the head, forks were binding due to the wheel being narrower, 6mm so the legs were being pulled in. sorry guys, I was gunna remove the post, but I had to go to work and didn't get around to it.
Cheers
--
Steve..

Hey mate, Brian is spot on, Only replace the front wheel with a wheel which is designed for the bike, other wise you will be one unhappy chappy! Goodluck with fixing the problem mate :)

Hey mate, Brian is spot on, Only replace the front wheel with a wheel which is designed for the bike, other wise you will be one unhappy chappy! Goodluck with fixing the problem mate :)
ya not wrong, I solved the probs by machining up some bigger spacers.

Steve.
Its great news that it wasnt bent forks after all,It just goes to show you the Chinese forks can take a bit of a beating after all.LOL

Cheers Brian

Ah ok, so you used different spaces apart from the provided ones you got with the bike? Had the same issue when fitting a rear wheel, spacers werent the right size so i destroyed the swingarm :D

yeah, cause the wheel was smaller the forks were binding, machined larger spacers than the originals, Now all is good, But when I get new wheels, I will put the original spacers back in.
Cheers
--
Steve

same thing happened on mi mates bike, yeh he put in the original spacers and it worked fine

Latest posts

Back