Air filter leaks out petrol when fuel tap is on???

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kraycer

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have done my best to try find out how to fix this through the internet... i got something which was about bending the metal piece above the float but first i would like someone else's knowledge.

With 2 of my carby's i have fuel leaking out of the air filters once i turn the fuel tap on the petrol tank! What can i do to fix it... i tried taking it apart and giving it some carby cleaner. That was no help.

Anyone else had this problem?

nah i don't. do i have to make the float lower or higher or what? honestly have no clue

you'll need to adjust the level lower, That is if that is where the problem is.

The floats actuate a needle and seat, basically a valve. There could be and commonly is, some junk sitting on top of the needle. It is fairly common on new OKO's to have a bit of cast swarf get caught there if not cleansed before using.

During disassembly or reassembly you can check this operation by having the fuel hooked up and turned on with the bowl off and lifting the floats gently. Fuel should stop coming out when the floats are lifted.

To fix if this is the problem, you need to remove your float bowl (the base of the carb where the floats live). Then remove the float assembly by sliding the pin out in which they pivot on, Being careful not to lose the needle which is about 5mm from the pivot. Have a look in and around that needle and seat for anything foreign.
During disassembly or reassembly you can check this operation by having the fuel hooked up and turned on with the bowl off and lifting the floats gently. Fuel should stop coming out when the floats are lifted.

Yeah i had a similar problem. Slight fuel leak out air filter. To stop it i.....

- Lossened manifold for carb so carb still attached to everything including fuel line.
-Take the bottm off the carb, watch the float fall out(or catch it,lol,)
-Clean etc make sure all parts are there, or have a look and make sure nothing missing.
-Now the float, when it is up the fuel will stop, when it is down the fuel will flow. I had a problem with this part as the needle which helps pivot the fork looking piece(sorry guys cant remember the name) that holds the float, i kept loosing the needle, its so tiny.
-Just test the fuel flow with the float still in your hand, pish it up and the fuel should stop, let it fall down and fuel should come through. This is the important part where your problem will be diagnosed. If this works then it could be restricted by what the other guys here have said, something blocking movement. Best idea is to take it apart, remember or even take pictures of the way it goes together and have a fiddle with it. Its simple physics 101 and mechanics 101.

Latest posts

Back