Air filter maintenance

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z3ROPAINE

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Im new to pit bikes and have ridden big bikes most of my life.

The question i have (after using the search tool but not finding the answer i was after)

I have purchased a UNI filter (as they seem to be the best) which has 2 foam parts to it, the outer foam and inner foam which is attached permanently.

My question is, do you just put oil filter on the inner foam and then slide the outer foam back on dry?

Reason i say this is because, if you oil both, wont the outer layer get oil all over my boot and pants?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Im new to pit bikes and have ridden big bikes most of my life.

The question i have (after using the search tool but not finding the answer i was after)

I have purchased a UNI filter (as they seem to be the best) which has 2 foam parts to it, the outer foam and inner foam which is attached permanently.

My question is, do you just put oil filter on the inner foam and then slide the outer foam back on dry?

Reason i say this is because, if you oil both, wont the outer layer get oil all over my boot and pants?

Cheers

Ive always oiled both inner and outer elements.

Thanks MiniFighter

I use PJ1 filter oil on my all my bikes in the past and its super stringy, which is why i like it as it does the best job (IMO)

On my big bike i use the liquid PJ1 and knead it into the filter until i have a nice even coverage over the entire filter, now the end of the UNI filter (on the pit bike) is not covered by the outer layer, which led me to believe that only the inner layer should be oiled up and the outer left dry to stop getting oil on your gear.

I guess i will try and see what happens, i usually go to races with 2 or 3 filters (on big bike) depending on how dusty the track gets so will try different combination with the pit bike.

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts on this as well.

Cheers

Thanks for the link Moth!

I think i will just run the inner oiled up and see how i go.

If you look closely, the outer sock type will be a course type material, and the inner a finer material. This is for a reason, so my advice is maybe not oil the outer as heavily.

Id be def doing both though.

Thats just my opinion though.

If you look closely, the outer sock type will be a course type material, and the inner a finer material. This is for a reason, so my advice is maybe not oil the outer as heavily.

Id be def doing both though.

Thats just my opinion though.

Great thanks Mini, will test both ways and see if it makes a huge difference.

I suspect the outer filter is there only to extend the time it takes for the inner filter to become clogged when riding in very dusty conditions.

Right, after a few rides now on my pit bike, i've come to the conclusion that PJ1 Spray oil filter is the best solution for me, i do cover the inner and outer, but the outer very lightly.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Latest posts

Back