any tips on how to do jumps on a 125 without falling off?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zumanity

Reaction score
was up at the local track the other day and was going over this jump i usually ride and i hit it a bit faster than normal and ended up getting some great air but got messed up and a little sideways on landing which caused me to accidentally hit the throttle and fall off.
do you guys have any tips on tackling jumps without killing myself?
cheers zumanity :)

attack it and dont freeze up, just relax and react

stay on top of it and not go sideways.

just try to keep your balance and keep the bike up right and youll be fine. it just takes a bit of practice

dont think when your about 1 m from the jump thats oh f*** im gunna fall cause if u think that u will just dont think anything and hit the dam thing and hold on keep balance and you should be fine

Just go for it and dont hesitate, but if you're sure you're not ready to do that then gradually work up your confidence.

theres also some tips on jumping on fmxaustralia.com

You wrote "without falling off". Interesting way of explaining a sad/bad jump landing. I usually think what happens just before that, like smashing a wrist, etc.

I am no FMXer but some tips I can think of:

Wear the right safety gear or do not bother.
Start small. As in "walk before you run".
Start with friendly landing zones. eg. no pot holes.
Don't bother being adventurous with bad bike suspension.
Experiment with the throttle (up ramp, in air and landing).
Experiment with body weight positioning.
Experiment with standing and sitting on the up ramp.
Experiment with rear brake tapping mid air (to get nose down).
Dont jump in too low a gear, else you will it your rev limit before you can get the nose back up. Also your landings will be more harsh if you cannot up speed the rear wheel (even just a little) just before touch down.
The less friendly is the track/jumps then the bigger you need your wheels to be.

If you develop the front/rear bike height control, then you are in good shape to get more adventurous because you can make corrections. It also helps if you bike has some good engine grunt.

When you crashed, it sounds like you got sideways or "crossed up" a little on landing and maybe throttled on when not expecting to. So you then became like a rag doll passenger instead of the pilot. Maybe (just maybe) it could have been prevented if you looked more forward and thought about positioning your body with the plan of throttling on intensionally to ride out of it. Starting "small" is the best thing to remember. Then you can botch jumps literally on purpose and work out what you and your bike can and cannot do. Stay with the bike and always try to save it. Only on a real come up short double wall slammer would you bail. Damn I hope I never have to make that decision. Funny thing is you usually know how things are going to turn out just after you are airborne. Which means the take off is key. Really get your bike sorted too if it's a shitter! Have fun.

Here is something to aim for: YouTube - James Stewart MySpace Whip ;)

Last edited:
yeah mate, im slightly new to jumping and used to sort of panic before hitting the jump and i would either come off or have a really uncomfortable landing.
but yeah, i keep my weight centered on the bike and land quite well now

Good to hear. I still suggest you try those learning exercises. Keeping central on the bike aint good enough, since when you are not central (one day), then you are screwed. Make sense? Kinda like you are leaving yourself zero room for error. eg. What happens if you cop an elbow/bump on your approach?

i am no FMX rider either but my more experienced friend gave me a few tips i found helpful.
1. lift your bum just off the seat before the jump.
2. don't look at the lip of the jump as you approach it.Look pat the landing point and straight ahead (easier said than done)
3.once you feel you are lined up BE COMMITEDand keep power on . if your not happy with your approach back off throttle and cruise over it.

sori to get off track, but jsut needed to ask this i have read the track building tips on the dirt wurx site, and i was wondering if the method that they proposed of for every 1 bucket of dirt up you go 1 bucket of dirt out? this would make a 45 degree angle, is this too steep for a pitbike?

4'th pinned, eyes closed with locked arms, oh and grind you teeth together :p.

ok this is how i do it (and i have had coaching from a coach) but ths mite not work for some of the bigger guys that carnt grip the seat with their knees.

1. try to grip the seat wit your knees (again big riders carnt)

2. lean back but not too much just get ur wieght over the bak a bit

3. if you want to get higher or longer air, at the lip of the just give the throttle a rev- it does work

4. in the air make sure you knees are bent and your arms are too this will help and dont turn the bars during the airtime- it will whip you out, and try to keep the weight over the back- well untill you need to land, cause if you land too far on the back wheel it wont be good

5. it the jump puts you off balance in the air or put you off when u land or gives you too much speed for the next obsticle - either dont do the jump completely, go halfway (if it a tabletop) fid another path that doesnt put you off.

Latest posts

Back