Armour and Hand guards

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastMarty

Reaction score
Hi yoooool... Just wondering, after searching the forum, there doesn't seem to be many guys that wear 'protection'.... ;) I have an office job, and need the pay check comin' in, and am seriously thinking about investing in a Fox Titan Sport Jacket or something similar to go under my jersey - where, hopefully I don't look like I'm ready to go to Mardi Gra! Why don't you guys like them? Apart from the lack of comfort, lack of ventilation and overall bulk added to ones bod that is....

Also, Was thinking of getting some hand guards to save snapping off levers. Again, not many of you guys seemingly use them... how come?

Hey man, I wear a fox titan... wont jump without it after this

Its actually not very hot, as it is all mesh stuff... and offers awesome protection on shoulders, elbows, chest, spine and kidneys... It is a bit bulky though...

Feel so much better riding knowing you've got good protection!
Really dont know why more people dont wear em... just preference I guess!

The 661 suits look good.. less bulky and the Thor impact rig looks the goods too...
57601.jpg

73977.jpg

The fox titan could be alright? Havn't had so i can't say, however my pick would be the 661 evo, new type of padding (although not removable) that moulds too your body, i also have a dianese, but i have much more confidence in the 661 as with the moulding it sits where it should sit whereas the hard plastic (fox/dianese) tend to move around and over your joints. In say that the back protector does not look as sturdy as the dianese but for dirt either one would be fine. As for bark busters (hand guards) unless your doing lots of single trail bush stuff they are pretty much useless... Thats my thoughts anyway.

Fox titan is solid as... feel like your in knights armour ha ha... but still comfortable...

Looking at those other ones though, airflow looks terrible... the titan is so cool to wear... drop off the back and kidney part, and it would be even better...

Yeah thanks Dyna... I saw your stack. All healed up now? ;) I've had my share of stacks on mountain bikes, so I know what its like, and I've already got a stuffed Collar bone, and left shoulder that is about as strong as Mr Burn's ..... And, riding out at QMP, there's a whole lot of whopper rocks!

I like the 661 and the Thor as well. Seen some reviews. Typically the Fox one gets the best reviews. Apparently the 661's chest plate rides up and gives you rib wedgies. hehehe. I'll try them on before I buy I thinks. :)

The fox titan could be alright? Havn't had so i can't say, however my pick would be the 661 evo, new type of padding (although not removable) that moulds too your body, i also have a dianese, but i have much more confidence in the 661 as with the moulding it sits where it should sit whereas the hard plastic (fox/dianese) tend to move around and over your joints. In say that the back protector does not look as sturdy as the dianese but for dirt either one would be fine. As for bark busters (hand guards) unless your doing lots of single trail bush stuff they are pretty much useless... Thats my thoughts anyway.

I see your point about the mouldable padding. Sounds like it could be wearing a nice comfy bra on your shoulders and elbows. :) I do like the idea of the hard plastic outer's tho... Well, I think. A bit like a turtle shell :) Cowabunga! Noone could say a Ninja Turtle ever got hurt!

And yes, ... about the hand guards, I see your point. I'll lay off them for a bit, to see how much Enduro I do. Yet to try the other harder trails out at QMP :)

generally speaking, those types of body armour are only going to stop cuts and bruises, its not going to protect much in the way of breaks, strains and dislocations. I'm not too worried about a bit of skin taken off here and there. When I was racing 450s on hardpack tracks a roost protector and handguards were the first thing I would put on, being behind a 450 at full noise is second only to being shot at with a 12 guage. its unlikely that a 50,88,110 is going to inflict that much roost damage.

my number 1 piece of protection that I can recomend is a neck brace. I have a leatt, but there are many others out there.

yeah, roost guard is a waste of time on a mini... but disagree about losing skin.... I couldnt sleep or move properly for weeks due to the weeping and scabs... ha ha... bloody annoying! Add to that the hospital wanting to wire brush the gravel out of the wounds... nar, not for me mate.. Id prefer a cheap bit of gear under my jersey, and I know im good as gold if I do come off...

But yeah, not gonna help breaks, sprains or dislocations at all... just gonna save you some bark coming off and possibly chipped bones like elbow or something...

I do tend to ride on the hardest clay & rock tracks around... none of this soft dirt where I ride usually, so I guess that helped me make my decision... come off in soft stuff and its not an issue...

I couldnt sleep or move properly for weeks due to the weeping and scabs... ha ha... bloody annoying! Add to that the hospital wanting to wire brush the gravel out of the wounds.

yuck. (10 characters)

I preach it to my son every time he has to put his armor on and he has a wine about it "better safe than sorry" and I should really follow my own advice and get myself some protection.
I have a mate that takes his kids with me when I take my son and he would always say what is that thing going to stop. This was until one of his little blokes ran straight through a lantana bush and shredded himself to bits. My son has had his fair share of stacks as we all have but his armor has saved his skin more times than once.
So long story short if it makes you feel safer go for it.

Dom

you have to have a minimum of 10 characters in a reply. and the word yuck is only 4.

Yep. Its the annoyance factor of losing skin. I can deal with the pain, but stickin' to the sheets, and blood staining your white work shirt gets annoying when I have to do the laundry! ;) Not to mention that I already only live on 4 hours sleep a night now! Can't do with any less! hehehehe.

Can't stop broken bones, I know that. If you don't want them, best of watching MX on TV wrapped in cotton wool whilst sitting on a clear plastic covered lounge sipping nice warm cups of water... ;) NO NO Not tea! Too much caffine! That's unsafe!

wont be long before kids will have to go to school wearing that stuff

Latest posts

Back