Atomik blitz 250 bad idle + general questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 9190

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just bought an atomik blitz 250 and put it together yesterday. Took it for a few quick laps of my street and it seemed to be going well. Electric start seems fantastic....first time every time. My problem today is that its really rough in idle and often just dies if you dont give it any gas regardless of choke position.

It seems to be getting enough fuel and air so im wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to track down the problem. Or maybe I would be better off taking it to a mechanic and getting him to tune it up properly? Not sure if its worth the cash

Heres a few more general questions...

Fuel octane:does it really make a difference? Its got regular fuel in it now. I assume it would really hate the ethanol stuff.

Coolant: Is regular car coolant ok or is there special bike stuff?

Other than putting the right fluids in and tightening every nut and bolt i can find is there anything else i should do?

Also...the engine says Mikilon on the side but the engine was advertised as a loncin. Did i get the right engine or have i been ripped off?

One more thing....
Oil: I got castrol GPS 10w50 4 stroke oil. The Atomik side said 10w40 but i cant imagine theres much difference? or should i be using run in oil?

Thanks!

Last edited:
well if you dont know what your doing id take it to a mechanic and get im to tune it. but its not that hard.

i use premium just cause my bike dont like regular. but yeah premiuim is always better beause its more refinded and doesnt have all the shit in it like regular(that maybe your problem)

yeah car coolant is fine i dont think they make a bike coolant but im not sure.

nar not really just stick to what the factory said and it should be fine. just make sure you do the proper run in of the motor first and alot of people dont realise you have to break your suspension in to so just try to take it easy on the suspesion.

no idea bout that ask the place you got it from?

10w40 is just a thinner weight oil (for when its cold) but its all the same onces its heated up. ive been using 10w50 on my pitty and seems to be fine.

Cheers for the reply.
Im going to get some more oil and decent petrol tomorrow and see how much difference that makes. Maybe it will just take a bit of fiddling with the idle screw to get the revs right once its got the right fluids.

I forgot to mention it backfires a little when easing off the throttle. Ive read this can be fuel related too.

According to some other threads its a good idea to replace the air filter because the stock one is terrible. The one in there at the moment is like a plastic box with a piece of foam wedged in it at a retarded angle. If i get a foam pod thingo would i want to leave it in the box or get rid of the box completely.

I have no instructions for running in....I guess i just take it easy for the first 5ish rides and change the oil after every ride?

yeah when ya get the fuel just run it through the bike for like 5 mins before fidling with the idle screw n shit just to flush the carby out a bit. umm yeah that means its runnin lean (check ya plug for colour its the easiest way to determine how ya engine is runnin. drieish blak-lean, white-runnin to hot because its so lean, wetish black- running rich, tanned- running right

yeah thats true. nar i wouldnt get rid of the box. keeps water out of ya filter if you go through puddles. but if it wont fit with a pod dw to much bout it. try get a uni filter they breathe really well. but if you put one on you have to richin it up because its not as hard for the carby to suck air through.

umm id just take it easy for the first couple tanks through it and if you still have the oil that it came in you can leave it in as its the runnin in oil but i dont think it will hurt if you change it. if you do then i recomend changing after say every ride depending on how long you ride it for. id change it after bout 4-5hrs. just cause the motor will have shit in from the machining oils n shit.

thanks again for the help. this is where im at now.

Bike has high octane fuel and plenty of motul 10w50 oil. I have had a tinker with the idle screw and its running...but only with the choke on. If you give it the slightest bit of throttle it stays alive without the choke on. Turning the idle screw doesnt seem to making any difference when the choke is off, only when the choke is on. Its revving quite high with the choke and heats up real quick.

Pretty sure the water in the radiators is boiling cos its shooting shitloads of steam out the overflow. Not sure why its cooking but im guessing its not a good thing.

If i take the choke off and keep it alive with a bit of throttle and then rev it up it seems to respond well but backfires as the engine slows back down. Revving it with the choke on causes it to stutter. Normal?

Also i have noticed that there is a tube(about 5cm) coming from the manifold where the the carb meets the engine. Its sucking in air and if i cover the end with my finger it kills the engine. Im a complete noob but shouldnt it be taking all its air thru the air intake?

Im going to call some bike shops on monday and see how much it will cost me to get someone who knows their shit to tune it up properly for me.

Cheers for the reply.
Im going to get some more oil and decent petrol tomorrow and see how much difference that makes. Maybe it will just take a bit of fiddling with the idle screw to get the revs right once its got the right fluids.

I forgot to mention it backfires a little when easing off the throttle. Ive read this can be fuel related too.

According to some other threads its a good idea to replace the air filter because the stock one is terrible. The one in there at the moment is like a plastic box with a piece of foam wedged in it at a retarded angle. If i get a foam pod thingo would i want to leave it in the box or get rid of the box completely.

I have no instructions for running in....I guess i just take it easy for the first 5ish rides and change the oil after every ride?

the backfiring may be an air leak in between to carb and manifold or manifold and engine just check that and use 98RON fuel

Great success!
For all you other blitz(and possibly other model) owners:

Theres an outlet on the underside of the manifold that joins the carby to the engine with a tube attached to it that is supposed to be used for drainage(im guessing). Make sure its cable tied up because it sucks in air and messes with everything.

As soon as i tied it up it started and continued to run fine.

Thanks guys

cheers for this, my prox is having the same issue. I just found the tube your talking about and it seemed to be split at the connection point but blocking off

I know this is an old post, but when you say cable tied, you just mean out the way or literally tied so it has no air escaping? Either way I need to replace this tube.

Some Rider, Last Activity: 02-10-2010 02:11 PM... Doubt you'll get a response from him, probably best off posting in here or starting your own thread :)

Latest posts

Back