Australian Minimoto Series 2009.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D73

Reaction score
The Australian Minimoto Series for 2009 will allow senior mini motards to use 160cc chinese engines & junior mini motards 140cc chinese engines.

The 2009 Handbook has already been released stating that engine size is limited to 140cc, where did you get this info from about the 160cc engine size for Senior Motards??

Who is the governing body that has released the handbook and what are their contact details? Thanx

Saber

maybe its the MA handbook, who else produces one for motorcycle racing???

I got the news from Darren at OZ MINIMOTO.
He helps organize the Aust Titles.
They had there club meeting on tues 2nd dec & decided then.
It will stay 160cc for at least 2 years and should be out in the 2009 Aust Titles handbook soon.
I talked to Darren about the engine size for senior motards & he said some of the QLD riders were starting to use 160cc. So I talked to the Vic guys I race with & they were keen to go to 160cc for the next 2 years.
Next year 160cc will be common in new pit bikes just as 150cc was this year.
Plus it allows more peolpe to ride. We can still race using any engine under 160cc.
There were guys that raced with 125cc against 140cc this year & they were still competative & had fun. The more bikes racing the better.

mini motard wont be under MA Jovian, so far it's all 'black racing' so there is no governing body as such.
Thanx for the info D73. We have been running 160cc bikes at lakeside and plan to run them when we start racing next year.

Saber

Last edited:
ah okay, well i will run my stock 140 and hope for the best.

he he he

yeah i know the vic boys kicked up a big stink when the qld'ers came down with 150's for the aussies
yet the queenslanders got beaten without em

will make for an uneaven playing field the differance between a 125 and 160 is huge
yet your right you can still be competitive 125 vs. 140

have fun eating bitchy fellas
and ya probably wanna keep ma out of it anyway they will ruin anything they get there hands on

if there is no governing body to regulate on engine sizes why not make ur own classes similiar to full size motard racing -

Full size;
S1 Over 450CC
S2 450CC
S3 250CC

Mini'
M1 Over 140
M2 140CC
M3 125cc

All bikes could grid up the same but end results could be divided as per above capacity. Seems silly to have a 125 VS 160. Having the spilt classes would also encourage people to stay on the smaller bikes and also help keep cost down for competitors to be competitive.

If people still wanted to test thier 125 v 160 there could be a challenge class with no capacity restrictions. Say 2 heats and a final.

hey jovian, im not really up to date with the minimotard scene but would there be enough bikes at a race meet to split it up like that and still have a decent amount of people in each race?

Hi Jovian
After discusions today at lakeside it is likely that we will run with a china bike class structure much like you outlined IE: senior up to 125cc, up to 140cc, and a class that is over 140cc unlimited to cater for the 150 and 160cc bikes.
I would guess we will run some seperate junior classes as well, probably 125cc and 140cc that grid up together with a staggred start.
There has been discusions to run a Jap class sperate for jap bikes, the other option is to fit them into other china classes depending on their potential lap times, This will likely be detrmind on the day on an individual bassis IE: big bux high potential jap's will probably go in 140cc+ class.
With the numbers we have been geting at lakeside so far it is likely that next year we can support 3 or 4 senior classes and 2 junior classes

Saber

ok cool, i will have a crack at the 140 class, if my other racing permits. i don't think you need to separate the classes on the grid. Just grid up as per lap times and separate the results via class. The last thing you want is to have 4 people on a grid just to make a class. The lap times probably won't be that different anyway so i doubt there would be any danger to it.

Without starting a war, are the jap bike generally faster or slower than china in tard trim??? I have no idea.

The staggered start idea is for the juniors IE: junior 140cc start first and junior 125cc a moment later just to try to create equal racing for the juniors.
At great risk of starting a war lol some japs can be absolute jets but that’s what you would expect when you spend $7000 upwards on takagawa and similar parts (I have heard figures quoted as high as $17000), so this can make a class very dominated by the mighty $$$$. We feel that this is not in the spirit of mini Motard. So for those that wish to spend $$$$ on jap stuff then they will compete against the unlimited 160+cc china bikes (potentially as big as 200+cc).
(Tina climbs into flame proof suit awaiting the potential responses)

Saber
PS: the SPIRIT of mini Motard in our opinion is entry level COST efficient motorcycle racing. For some food for thought for $6000 aprox you can have a reasonably competitive 400cc sport bike class ride

hey gues can anyone tell me the good and bad about the pitpro X4 160 ??

im trying to convince my dad to get me one

cheers guys :cool:

Hi mannsy
I cant offer a comment on the x4 160 as I have not riden one, I guess the thing to do would be to check one out throughly, prety much any bike can be adapted to motard. The gpx 160 motor seems to be a good thing from the few I have seen and riden. Check with the track that you plan to ride at on whether you can race it because I belive that some places are resisting the 160cc bikes.

Saber

because we have to work around the pocket bike club track requirements and QLD raceway organisation. I am hoping to be able to have some firm dates by feburary sometime. Another one of the stumbling blocks at the moment is the huge infrastructre improvements that are to be done all around lakeside during the next little while.

Saber

Latest posts

Back