Back rim Grrrr

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antdog07

Reaction score
Hey guys and gurlz hows the riding!!!
well just wanted to know what to do with my spokes went for a ride today and got back and my spokes were all really lose none have snapped yet but if i ride again im guessing they will what should i do and how do i tighten them up any help would be great thanks ;)

hey mate..i had the same problem on the weekend, just got a new rim and by the end of the day all the spokes were loose, i just use a small adjustable spanner and go around and tighten them, but first get em finger tight and work out which way tightens as i think its opposite to normal ;)

Just use a small shifter and work your way around, there is a tool to do it but a shifter works for me. Do not ride it with loose spokes or they will snap.

K thanks for that guys i will give it a dob tomorrow and let use know cheers...

1 mre thing

Do i need to take the tyre off ?? b4 i do it

nope just sit the bike up on something and start at the valve and work your way around back to the valve and then do the other side, easy but boring, ohh and once you go all the way around check them again because they can loosen when you tighten others up (if that makes sense)

Do i need to take the tyre off ?? b4 i do it

No you don't but the best and proper way is to take the tyre off.
Once you have the tyre and rubber strip that protects the tyre off, you can use an cordless drill with a big Phillips head in it. This works best because it you can see exactly how far the spokes are tightened as you can see the spoke through the spoke nipple.
Work your way around the wheel until all the spokes are of all equal distant through the nipple, this way it will make sure your wheel stays somewhat true.
Just tightening spokes randomly can cause the wheel to become buckled.
It does take a bit longer to do but you will make sure the job is done properly and the spokes will be less likely to become loose again.

Last edited:
This works best because it you can see exactly how far the spokes are tightened as you can see the spoke through the spoke nipple.Work your way around the wheel until all the spokes are of all equal distant through the nipple, this way it will make sure your wheel stays somewhat true.QUOTE]

And of course all spokes are perfectly equal in length, and all rims are perfectly round.;)

And of course all spokes are perfectly equal in length, and all rims are perfectly round.;)

If your rims aren't perfectly round, they should be if you lace the wheel up properly.
And if the spokes aren't the same length (which they should be) it will still give you a better idea of where your headed rather than just randomly tightening spokes without any reference point.
Spokes poking through the nipple (torn tube) ( hub out of centre). Get where I am going with this numb nuts?
You might be riding around with your hub way out of centre like a clown at a circus because you are too stupid to have your wheel trued and have it perfectly round.

man i had the same problem with my old bike it just kept going loose and the wheel was all buckled because i tighten one spoke all the way up each u have to do a little bit at a time

Hey Guys Thanks Heaps All Fixed I Just Done It The Simple Way With The Shifter... Went For A Ride And It Is Fine But The Wheel Is Just A Little Bit Buckled But Only A Bit Thanks... Sorry Bout The Late Post..

If your rims aren't perfectly round, they should be if you lace the wheel up properly.
And if the spokes aren't the same length (which they should be)

Get where Im going with this numb nuts?

You might be riding around with your hub way out of centre like a clown at a circus because you are too stupid to have your wheel trued and have it perfectly round.

Been building wheels for BMX MTB and motos both big and small for the last 15 or so years. Just upgraded myself to a new wheelstand complete with dial indicator and I assure you I have not yet seen a perfectly round rim, some are pretty good but 99% of 10/12/14" rims are very bad. And thats not just cheap china rims either, i'm talking about bare rims here.

Get where Im going with this?

Been building wheels for BMX MTB and motos both big and small for the last 15 or so years. Just upgraded myself to a new wheelstand complete with dial indicator and I assure you I have not yet seen a perfectly round rim, some are pretty good but 99% of 10/12/14" rims are very bad. And thats not just cheap china rims either, i'm talking about bare rims here.

Get where Im going with this?

I hear you, but still would be better to take the tyre off and do it that way, you will be far closer to getting a wheel thats true than if you just tightened the spokes randomly. Also less likely for the spokes to become loose again.

If the wheel, as you said isn't perfectly round, what do you do when one side needs more of the spoke tightened than the other to pull it into shape and the spoke pulls through the nipple?

I am only a newby to lacing wheels up, but I know that you can't just tighten spokes with the tyre on and hope for the best.
As I said before, doing it with the tyre off and getting the spokes equal length through the nipple will make it SOMEWHAT true.
So I was just trying to tell these guys that not taking the tyre off would possible create more problems.
With you being 15 years in the business, you could be a bit more help to these guys with this topic than what you first posted.
Criticizing me about the obvious is of no help!

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back