Ban Miniature Motorbikes (Monkey Bikes)

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeh those laws were brought in to curb those cheap 49cc 2 stroke pocket bikes and the cheap 2 stroke 49cc dirt bikes that idiots were riding around the streets on

none of our bikes will be banned. except maybe hillz, because he doesnt have any front brakes.

thats bad for us as they dont say what sort of bikes ???

"Monkey bikes are unsafe and can cause serious injuries if they:

* have unstable structures and mechanical flaws
* lack an emergency stopping device
* lack effective brakes and steering
* lack adequate footholds.

Only miniature motorbikes with inadequate safety features (as specified in the ban) and powered by internal combustion engines are subject to this ban. Electric powered monkey bikes are exempt from this ban."

I think that covers all questions...

Our bikes wont be banned. The legislation is aimed mainly at the dodgy importers of the pocket bikes that sell them without footpegs, and loose bearings and junk brakes. All of our supporing sponsors sell bikes that fully comply with australian law and will not be affected by the permanent bans.

this is a very vaguely worded ban.. mainly aimed at china import no name junkers, if you click the word money bike it clearly says it hard to outline which bikes are banned as the bikes that are the main issue do not have serial numbers and normally don't carry any branded names to identify what they are .

Worst problem is the term used being monkey bike ... its such a open term coming from back in the late 60's where most of us that live around bikes normally instantly picture a Z50 when someone says monkey bike. But the general public might be thinking otherwise

I don't like the generalisation of the term Monkey Bike.

I'll bet that the person behind your local transport department service counter will think your Z50 is banned when you try to register it or your local police officer when he wants to check your rego, etc.

It's then a hassle to get it sorted.

how so pat ? any dmv will call a honda z50 a honda z50 , it wont say monkey bike on there pc screen , even most coppers call em z50's not monkey bike , that was a term coined in the UK , not Australia ,

and i say ban them yes , ban anything on the rd not reg for road use ??

I don't like the generalisation of the term Monkey Bike.

I'll bet that the person behind your local transport department service counter will think your Z50 is banned when you try to register it or your local police officer when he wants to check your rego, etc.

It's then a hassle to get it sorted.

Not if you have a comp plated model, they cant argue with a bike built to comply with the australian design rules at the time, but i can see it being a hassle with a hardtail or pre comp plate dax

Latest posts

Back