Best high end engine for a z50j

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gros21

Reaction score
Well I've got my z50 with a lifan 125cc however I want more
Power. Should I go the daytona 190cc or there a better option. If like to have the engine in and carbed up for $1500-1700

I've heard about honda Thai engines or
Should I go a pitster and do work to that?

the daytona 190 is a major major step up from your lifan 125.. hell i reckon even a gpx 125 will make the bike rideable and fast (but maybe a little of a strougle at 110)
the daytonas are a 4valve engine with a wider gearbox than the rest (the teeth are wider and can take more tourque) and will probably last longer than say a tb or takey pitster in terms of gearbox (i say probably untill someone comes up with a 300-400hr report on them)
the lifan 125's are slow as hell and will not compare to a race motor such as the gpx 125..

i reckon a daytona 150 is the way to go with a nice carby because they have a shorter stroke and less rod angle (longer lasting pistons/bores)
a pitster would be good also because they can do about 100 stock and (without tb/takey) stuff you could buy 2 of them and if one fails just swap it over while your fixing the problem/prolly the gearbox or clutch as long as you service them they should be okay...

i also hear rumours that there is a daytona road version out

Yea 150 is a option as well. It will be a road bike I haven't looked into gearing at all.
Yea I've head about that but would be different? Gear rations lets face it race conditions would be a hell lot harder on the gear.
Pitster could be a viable option.

I want to do 100kph with 10" wheels and 125kg on it.

the problem you face is doing 100 k's while having 1st decently short to take off at lights and whatnot..
if i was to do a road bike and did not care much for major power maybe a lifan 150 with a takey 5speed gearbox and a superhead for it would be good for the road?

the daytona 150 is like riding a 160 tb'd head bike with a smooth as silk power delivery imo.. they would be able to do and probably sit on 100 k's no issue.. the 190 could probably sit on 120 - 130 but 1st would be long...

I've head the takeagawa 5 speed boxes are crud they are prone to breaking 2 or 3rd gear.
What dou mean in your 1st sentence. Just that 1st gear will be useable on the street.

Also isn't the takeawga gear box over $1000?

800, okay didnt know they bust..
if you gear up a short ratio box either 1st has to be long or 4th has to be short vicerversa
just means coming off the lights you have to ride the clutch a little more (not that tourque will be a issue) if you go for the 190 remember the clutches are also a problem but thats an issue on most bikes over 150cc

800isnt as bad as I thought. Then I need a clutch. My drammas is matching every thing up. Hence why I was think a daytona. It should be as easy as wire in, install carb and away I go.

There will prolly be a bit of work with all the controls and crap like that. But any larger than stock engine will have these issues.

Wonder what the daytona superchargre is worth ha ha

have you extended your frame? maybe the head wont fit..
yeah i really want a daytona supercharged too bad there not selling them..

yeah the 5speed gearbox i prolly would not do either.. but it would be nice to have..
if you have not made your frame 1'' longer and cant fit anything other than a zongshen then build one with a 184 kit tb head and you will be sweet for quite a while.. you can get them cheaper second hand too or maybe go for the takey superhead but that has smaller valve stem dia by half a mm and personally i would not want to run that size in a bike that i dont want to strip down quite regularly..

My Bro got z50jz with tb117 motor. with 16 - 24 gearing! tells me dose 110kms flat.

I Got z50j1 with tb88 mod motor. 16 - 30 gearing! dose 78kms flat!.

How fast wounta go?
They tell me 79kms magic speed , as 80kms feals too fast!! lol . Im thinkn mite be bit in that

I want to be able to sit on 100kmh
I have a stock frame but have extended forks to give more Clearance.

Yea tb117 is just a bored/stoked 50 isn't it? Meaning ill have to add a gearbox/clutch to that cost.

I want to be able to sit on 100kmh
I have a stock frame but have extended forks to give more Clearance.

Yea tb117 is just a bored/stoked 50 isn't it? Meaning ill have to add a gearbox/clutch to that cost.

Yeah to 100kms comfortable wount fair size donk man for shore!
Be hecktic ride doing 100kms feal so fast on stock z50 frame setup :) . I reckn 80kms about it for me

This is kit my bro got in his z50jz roadie rides around!. They come with new v2 head now, bro got old sylte race head
http://classichonda50saustralia.com.au/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1843

Last edited:
I'll let you know about the 190 when I get mine done!! It's taking a fair bit longer than I expected due to, well, life getting in the way atm!! I'm planning on running 18/30 gearing and the torque of the 190 should pull 1st gear nicely considering that the 125 is pulling 17/29 with no issues at all.

In that case if you want to go a takey 125 why not save your self the money and buy the http://www.dhz.com.au/buy/new-2013-...the-quickest-125cc-engine-on-the-market/EN-04 gpx 120 because thats 54 x 54.5mm high comp piston and is going to be like/almost exactly like the takey with a little headwork that your budget certainly allows and then you could put a nice keihn carby on it (good carbys for the win on a bike your going to ride alot)
i still reckon a daytona 150 is the go.. and then fit a 70mm piston if you get bored (needs case boring) and then head work later on..

That gpx is well under budget. Who would work it? Would my gear box and clutch then stand up to it?

That pitster 160 they list ive also been looking at it there in house built engine for $850 would still allow $200
For a good carb. That way it's just over $1000 for a Engine. How would that compare to a daytona?

Don't really want to build my own combo as my skills are adverage at best. Then I would have drammas in matching up parts.

I've ordered a kein carp for the lifian through dhz already to get the 125 running again so that will be my back up engine.

Ill prolly sell the 50cc as they pull good money and should buy the carb.

really installing things like the tb head, big bore and whatnot can be done by you for saving costs..(its as easy as swaping out parts.. if not send it to me (melbourne) ill do it for free..
28/23 is the valve sizes of the gpx 125 motors.. the "tb 125 works engine" uses the tb roller head that valve sizes are:
- 28.5mm intake Valve
- 23.5mm Exhaust Valve
so is it really worth a extra 500 for .5valve oversize valves?
im talking valve sizes to give you and idea on flow, however if you dont like how your head flows stock this can be changed with no risks of going into a waterjacket and whatnot by hand..

they wont compare to the 155z with a bigbore or the daytona 150's the gpx 125 revs a heap more and will be manageable on a small frame.. the 150's + bigbore/normal daytona will be wild and i reckon you will be having a hard time topping out the power because the wobbles is some scary **** man.. i would not want to go far over 100 but i would want to be geared for over/at 140 to bring the rpm down so i can sit on 100 all day no problems

but like i said no problem matching up parts eg a tbhead on a 160 with a tb piston will always work and you just take the old one off and piston and put a new one on.. simple
however after you go bigbore then a takey auto decomp cam (or maybe a button to save $$) you would be at the same/similar costs of a daytona with a weaker tranny.. but if you already have a 150/yx engine its cheaper to just upgrade that + its lighter and also valves will be cheaper.. pistons are 50 instead of 90 like on the daytona

Cheers
Yea I've never really riped a motor apart other than a lawn mower but ill learn I guess. Might even beef up the stock 125 just for practice that way I can feel confident before tackling a better motor. Or get a rebuild kit for the Honda 50

Latest posts

Back