Best way to clean air fliter?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john_madeley

Reaction score
yep title says it, whats the best way to clean air filter (thumpstar) just got my bike the other day ;)

It has that oil shit on it that does something so what do u do??

if your filter is the foam type like the uni ect, you wash this filter in petrol, sqeeze gently let dry out then re apply filter oil to the exterior.

yeah, cut the top off a 2L fizzy drink bottle, put petrol in it, wash foam air filter, shake dry and spounge with paper towl. put air filter oil in hands and rub in, this way you get an even layer over the filter.

u can also throw it in a plastic bag with some air filter oil and rub it in... this way you do not get oil on your hands

any point of gettin an air filter cover ? wunderin if i shud get 1

yeah. thats what my uncle said can some1 get a pic of one and like i might mabye make one my self.. it gets so dirty and shiiiiit

you can get somewhere like clark rubber to make pre filters for you, thats what i used to do when racing r/c buggies, just make sure u take in the air filter with you so they no what size to make and oil it well before rides, keeps air filter pretty clean and they are cheap!

If you use mineral oil on your air filter turps is the best way to clean it. I have found the best (and way cheapest) way to keep your filter clean is to use blended vegatable oil (from woolworths about $3-) and rub it in in a plastic bag. Then you can just use dishwashing detergent in sink to clean it. Another good idea is to buy a pack of air filters (I bought 4 for about $30) and clean and oil them all and store them in plastic bags and just change them every time you ride. This means that you only need to clean them every 5 rides.

I am even using vegetable oil in my car uni filter at the moment so I have a fair bit of faith in it. Thanks cactus jack.

U must have alot of faith in that vegetable oil to run it on ur gear. I just use the K&N cleaner and spray, nice and easy to use.

U must have alot of faith in that vegetable oil to run it on ur gear. I just use the K&N cleaner and spray, nice and easy to use.

Thats the way bud... no point doing a half fast job aye... The k&N pack is cheap, efficient and contains the right chemicals to keep your filter peforming well.. Its all ill ever use on all of my bikes... I usually buy the 1lt packages from Peter Stevens Motorcycle's in the melb cbd:D

why would you want a cover? you will be restricting air flow therefore ur motor will run poorly

For wet days, its going to run shit aswell if the filter and carby has got 2litres of water in it :rolleyes:

Any oil works to trap the dust, in a lot of cases people spend money on "special" oils because they have been marketed well. When I take my filters off the inside is always as clean as when I put it on regardless of how dirty the outside is this tells me it is working good enough.

Air filter oil is designed to trap dirt. Its thick and sticky. Vegetable oil would probably be okay but thats the only type of non air filter oil I would use.

Today, I cleaned my air filter.. Got a bottle of turps.. tipped it all over until the adhesive air filter oil was off it. Chucked the filter in a tub of soapy water, got all the dirt out and left her to dry in some tissues ! :rolleyes:

i wash mine in kerosein and then rub filter oil in. ive been told that petrol stuffs the glue in the foam and wrecks the filter :confused:

Latest posts

Back